|Name||Kingdom of Denmark (Kongeriget Danmark)|
|Strip||To Create Better Products In Northern Europe|
|Drama CD||Hetalia Fantasia 2|
|Anime||Episode 69 (Cameo)|
Episode 79 (speaking)
|English||Montgomery Sutton (World Series)|
Greg Ayres (The Beautiful World)
Denmark (デンマーク, Denmāku) is a supporting character in the series Hetalia: Axis Powers.
Denmark has short, wild blond hair, black eyebrows, and drooping, blue eyes. His mouth was noted to be drawn rather big, and he was drawn with a heroic image in mind. He wears a long black coat with red cuffs, a red shirt and black tie, red pants, and brown boots, as well as a small black hat. He is the second tallest of the five Nordics and is often shown carrying around a large axe in artwork. In a 2011 blog post, Himaruya mentioned Denmark was "quite muscular".
Personality and Interests
Denmark is said to be full of youthful vigor and humor, though he is also very stubborn and doesn't listen very well to others. As a result, he is known to be very controlling, bossy, and demanding, to the point where it is hard to get along with him. Like Sweden however, Denmark has since calmed down and now puts his energy towards social services and making furniture, though he still manages to get himself into trouble. It was said that when he would finally make an appearance in the comic he would have a frightening impression.
He declares himself to be the "King of Scandinavia", and speaks in an Ibaraki dialect. He is also a heavy drinker. He is said to be carefree but he is actually a hard worker. His Volume 6 profile states he has been active in cultivating organic products.
He appears to have a certain priority for maintaining his own self image, as seen in Hetalia Fantasia 2 when he opts to lie to Germany and Japan about the progress of his quest.
A 2011 blog post suggested that Denmark blatantly ignores offensive and aggressive social tones, maintaining a cheery demeanor. Although this suggestion seemed to be only applied to his reactions to Norway's routine negativity, in the 2011 Halloween event he executed the same social method in a forceful confrontation with Belarus in which she throws a clothes hanger at him and yells that Russia's group is going to win the costume contest.
Main article: Finland
Finland lived with Denmark, but made the decision to flee with Sweden,having grown tired of being surrounded by stronger nations and wanting to be free. Finland occasionally refers to him as Ta-san (short from the Finnish name for Denmark, Tanska), as heard in the third interval CD.
Main Article: Iceland
Denmark considers himself to be an older brother towards Iceland. In The Wordy Nordic Comic, Denmark was excited to hear the news of his test results. After learning of the promise that Norway and Iceland made, Denmarks pokes fun at him but later asks him if he could be called "big brother" as well.
Main article: Norway
Norway is a childhood friend of Denmark's, who he feels rather close to and strongly about, believing that Norway sees him the same way as a "best friend." However, he is unaware of Norway's bluntness and subtle ways of teasing and insulting him. Norway frequently refers to him as anko, a term Himaruya has described as having a nuance like older brother or oniichan, the familiar form of big brother, and having a classmate-like feeling. Historically, Denmark and Norway drifted apart after Norway became oppressed by a more powerful nation. When Norway later entered into an alliance with Sweden, Denmark is described as throwing a childish tantrum, cutting their ties, and decreasing goodwill toward him. Despite Norway's apparent annoyance towards him, Finland has mentioned that Norway spends a lot of time with Denmark.
Main article: Sweden
Sweden lived with him for a long period of time, but after being unable to stand his behavior and lifestyle, finally snapped and rebelled, leaving him behind. A set of strips on Himaruya's blog suggest that Denmark challenged Sweden a number of times, though they also suggest his defeats. Although their relationship hasn't been discussed much in modern times, Denmark does show concern for him during the 2011 Christmas event when he discovers Sweden knocked to the ground by Ladonia. Also during the event, he says that he thought it was cool that Sweden lived in a furniture store and said he wanted to try living in a house made of Lego.
Although Denmark made numerous appearances in sketches as far back as late 2007, he did not debut in a comic until the strip To Create Better Products in Northern Europe, posted on Himaruya's blog in 2009 (which was later republished in volume 3). In the strip, he is shown to be selling dolls that were made by Sweden and Finland while Norway criticizes him for being too loud. Denmark, however, doesn't seem to be phased by his criticism as he enthusiastically responds, "I see!". In the strip, The Wordy Nordic Comic (also republished in volume 3 but under the name The Chatty Nordics), Denmark read out Iceland's DNA results and is shocked but excited to learn that Norway and Iceland are biological brothers. He later says he isn't surprised by the news, remarking they're both "creepingly scary" and have "a bunch of weirdo friends". When discovering the pact Iceland and Norway made, Denmark and Finland are extremely amused by it and even tries to get in on the fun by saying drinks are on Iceland until he calls Norway onii-chan (big brother in English). Upset and irritated, Iceland decides to leave, saying he only came to deliver his results but Denmark tries to bring him back by saying they were only joking.
In an omake comic thanking readers for purchasing volume 4, he is briefly seen attempting to befriend Germany. In a comment below the comic, it's stated he was thinking of becoming better friends with him. In a blog post describing the EU financial crisis, Denmark is seen asking for a bridge to be built between the two. In volume 5, Denmark appears alongside the rest of the Nordics in the strip Go Forth! Newspaper Club! Second Half as part of the Nordic Club. When asked about their club, he states that they maintain their order of the school by creating "super awesome furniture designs". Finland reinstates however that they actually eat snacks and talk about furniture and their aspirations. Denmark then excitedly tries to inform Japan that when they are in a tight spot, Nordic furniture from around the world can come together to form a giant robot but Sweden holds him back, informing them that he was lying.
In Episode 14 published in the March 2013 edition of Comic Birz, Finland tries to introduce Denmark to readers but he buts in, asking if he could do it himself. He introduces himself with a lot of proud boasting, complete with a fantasy scene that included Norway and Iceland admiring him from afar. When he finishes however, Norway looks away unimpressed while Iceland sneezes and falls over and Sweden simply makes a grunting sound. When Finland mentions the story of Valhala, Denmark adds that if he were younger, he wouldn't have minded on going there but if he could retire, he do it in the countryside. In a strip involving the Norwegian butter crisis, Denmark comes to his aid but criticizes him for trying to lose weight when he isn't "chubby" and that removing butter without lessening the sugar content is bad for his health. Seeing how health conscious Denmark has become, Norway decides not to offer any of his buttery cake to him but Denmark nervously says he'll eat that one and asks him to bake some.
So far, Denmark has appeared in all the events since the 2010 Christmas event (although he did appear in a brief sketch with Norway in viking clothing during the 2007 Christmas event as part of a request from a fan). He makes a brief appearance at the end of the event topless and startling the rest of the Nordics and Estonia (although Norway appeared to be unfazed by it). During the 2011 April Fools event, Denmark bursts into Iceland's house announcing that cows are flying in the sky while Iceland merely glares at him after having spit out his drink all over his table and Mr. Puffin. During the 2011 Halloween event, he and the rest of the Nordics are dressed up as pirates for America's costume party. He gets into confrontation with Belarus but isn't fazed by her threats and actions. He later meets up with Russia and comments on his costume, remarking it's exactly like Belarus had told him it would be. During the 2011 Christmas event, he and the rest of the Nordics (minus Finland) and Ladonia get together inside of a furniture store and wait for Santa. In a requested strip during the event, Denmark tries to convince Norway to go with him and sail the oceans but he angrily tells him to get back to work. He decides to go on his own to visit Japan on impulse but was beaten up by Netherlands once he got there.
Denmark makes his debut appearance in Hetalia Fantasia 2 where he and Norway become separated from the rest of the Nordics and later meet up with Germany and Japan, who became separated from Italy. The four of them team up to search for their missing group members where they hear America screaming in the distance (who is upset that his plans to beat England did not work out). After Japan calms him down, America offers to show off his new skill and later blows up a mountain, the blast so strong it blew away the monster attacking Iceland and Italy from afar. Denmark is visibly impressed and screams for an encore. The group is then reunited with Iceland and Italy after Iceland calls out for them, after noticing "that loud and annoying message box" popping up after the blow-up of the mountain. Denmark later remarks that he and Norway were worried about him and was happy to see him safe.
Denmark also appears in the Nordic-centered third interval drama CD in both the first and second tracks. The first track is a slightly expanded version of The Wordy Nordic Comic while in the second track, he appears in one of Sweden's flashbacks where he attempts to sneak up on Sweden and beat him up but he ultimately loses. Later in the track, in the present situation, he falls off his chair drunk and Norway decides to take him home by carrying him out of the restaurant.
Denmark is shown in a brief shot (non-speaking) in Episode 69 during Finland's explanation of why he is traveling through the woods with Sweden - the two of them having escaped from under Denmark's rule. Later in the explanation, a small version of Denmark is seen as part of a map alongside Finland, Sweden, Poland, Lithuania, and Russia.
He makes his speaking debut in Episode 79, which adapts To Create Better Products in Northern Europe. In the episode he is shown selling dolls made by Finland and Sweden, with Norway showing up and remarking that Denmark is being loud and annoying. However, Denmark doesn't seem to understand that Norway is insulting him, and responds with enthusiastic cheer.
In The Beautiful World, he two appearances in Gakuen Hetalia: Go Forth! Newspaper Club!! Second Half and Russia and Friends.
- In Hetalia Fantasia 2, Iceland mentioned Denmark enjoys licorice.
- It was rumored that Denmark, along with Norway and Iceland, would appear in the anime adaptation of Hetalia, and that he would be voiced by the seiyū Tomokazu Sugita. However, this turned out to be a hoax, said to have originated from 2channel. Denmark did debut in a cameo in the first season World Series, however, while the second season marked his formal debut, voiced by Hiroshi Shimozaki.
- In a 2010 blog post of Himaruya's, the names Himaruya had suggested to him that he liked for Denmark were Andersen, Christensen, Arnesen, Simon Densen, Abel, Mikkel, Magnus, and Bertram, with "Densen" being the surname he liked.
- Himaruya, Hidekaz (June 12, 2008). "瞳と髪の毛の色ｍａｔｏｍｅ [Eye and Hair Color ｓｕｍｍａｒｙ]". http://himaruya.blog61.fc2.com/blog-entry-105.html. Retrieved December 14, 2012.
- Himaruya, Hidekaz (2010). Axis Powers ヘタリア 3 特装版 [Axis Powers Hetalia 3 Specially Equipped Edition]. Gentosha. p. 20. ISBN 978-4-3448-1938-2.
- Himaruya, Hidekaz (May 4, 2009). "ただいまっす！ [Hey! I'm home!]". http://himaruya.blog61.fc2.com/blog-entry-552.html. Retrieved October 6, 2012.
- "ベラルーシさんとウクライナさんの軍服バージョン [Ukraine's and Belarus' military version]". July 30, 2011. http://himaruya.blog61.fc2.com/blog-entry-1228.html. Retrieved January 26, 2013.
- Himaruya, Hidekaz (May 29, 2009). "ノルディック [Nordic]". http://himaruya.blog61.fc2.com/blog-entry-577.html. Retrieved October 6, 2012.
- Himaruya, Hidekaz. "「スーさんと家出」 [Su-san and I]". http://www.geocities.jp/himaruya/ssan.htm. Retrieved October 6, 2012.
- Himaruya, Hidekaz (2011). Axis Powers ヘタリア 4 [Axis Powers Hetalia 4]. Gentosha. p. 18. ISBN 978-4-3448-2233-7.
- Himaruya, Hidekaz (2012). Axis Powers ヘタリア 5 [Axis Powers Hetalia 5]. Gentosha. p. 79. ISBN 978-4-344-82563-5.
- Himaruya, Hidekaz. "ねこちゃんとクリスマス！クリスマス2010-2011 [Cat and Christmas! Christmas 2010-2011]". http://www.geocities.jp/himaruya/xmas2011.html. Retrieved October 6, 2012.
- Himaruya, Hidekaz (August 16, 2008). "Some illustrations from trading cards.(corrected some information)". http://hetalia.livejournal.com/48823.html. Retrieved October 12, 2013.
- Himaruya, Hidekaz (April 16, 2009). "見分け表途中経過 [Character Distinction]". http://himaruya.blog61.fc2.com/blog-entry-534.html. Retrieved October 6, 2012.
- Himaruya, Hidekaz (September 24, 2009). "使いどころが分からなくて結局没にしたはずの北欧漫画". http://himaruya.blog61.fc2.com/blog-entry-663.html. Retrieved December 14, 2012.
- Himaruya, Hidekaz (2013). ヘタリア Axis Powers 6 [Hetalia: Axis Powers 6]. Gentosha. p. 15. ISBN 978-4-344-82867-4.
- Himaruya, Hidekaz (December 23, 2010). "(Drama CD) Hetalia Fantasia 2 Tracks 5 + 6 Translated!". http://hetalia.livejournal.com/9782928.html. Retrieved December 14, 2012.
- Himaruya, Hidekaz (August 22, 2011). "Elder Things". http://himaruya.blog61.fc2.com/blog-entry-1239.html. Retrieved December 14, 2012.
- Himaruya, Hidekaz (November 2, 2011). "ハロウィーン 2ページ目 [Halloween Page 2]". p. 2. http://www.geocities.jp/himaruya/hall20112.html. Retrieved October 6, 2012.
- Himaruya, Hidekaz (August 4, 2010). "描きため作業". http://himaruya.blog61.fc2.com/blog-entry-856.html. Retrieved December 15, 2012.
- Himaruya, Hidekaz (2010). Axis Powers ヘタリア 3 [Axis Powers Hetalia 3]. Gentosha. p. 48-51. ISBN 978-4-3448-1938-2.
- Himaruya, Hidekaz (June 1, 2009). "終わった的な". http://himaruya.blog61.fc2.com/blog-entry-579.html. Retrieved December 14, 2012.
- Himaruya, Hidekaz. "デンマークさん魔法の言葉 [Magic Words of Denmark]". http://himaruya.blog61.fc2.com/blog-entry-1413.html. Retrieved November 8, 2013.
- Himaruya, Hidekaz (August 14, 2012). "Nordic Drama CD, Track 2". http://hetalia.livejournal.com/12307988.html. Retrieved December 21, 2012.
- Himaruya, Hidekaz (September 11, 2010). "デンマークさんがスウェーデンさんに殴りかかりすぎな件について". http://himaruya.blog61.fc2.com/blog-entry-877.html. Retrieved October 6, 2012.
- Himaruya, Hidekaz (December 2011). "クリスマスの 5ページ". http://www.geocities.jp/himaruya/2011_12_5.html. Retrieved December 21, 2012.
- Himaruya, Hidekaz (December 2011). "クリスマスの 9ページ". http://www.geocities.jp/himaruya/2011_12_9.html. Retrieved December 21, 2012.
- Himaruya, Hidekaz (December 24, 2007). "２００７年クリスマスまとめ". http://www.geocities.jp/himaruya/chrismas_bonsai.html. Retrieved December 17, 2012.
- Himaruya, Hidekaz (2010). Axis Powers ヘタリア 3 [Axis Powers Hetalia 3]. Gentosha. p. 47. ISBN 978-4-3448-1938-2.
- Himaruya, Hidekaz (2011). ヘタリア Axis Powers 4 [Hetalia: Axis Powers 4]. Gentosha. ISBN 978-4-3448-2233-7.
- Himaruya, Hidekaz (August 23, 2011). "ドイツさんがムリゲーすぎる [Germany is playing an impossible game]". http://himaruya.blog61.fc2.com/blog-entry-1240.html. Retrieved December 17, 2012.
- Himaruya, Hidekaz (2012). Axis Powers ヘタリア 5 [Axis Powers Hetalia 5]. Gentosha. p. 93-94. ISBN 978-4-344-82563-5.
- Himaruya, Hidekaz (2013). 月刊コミックバーズ Axis Powers ヘタリア EP. 14 [Monthly Comic Birz Axis Powers Hetalia Episode 14]. Gentosha. p. 38.
- Himaruya, Hidekaz (2013). 月刊コミックバーズ Axis Powers ヘタリア EP. 14 [Monthly Comic Birz Axis Powers Hetalia Episode 14]. Gentosha. p. 39.
- Himaruya, Hidekaz (December 21, 2011). "ブログの漫画まとめ。". http://www.geocities.jp/himaruya/matomennnu.html. Retrieved October 12, 2013.
- Himaruya, Hidekaz (January 2011). "ねこちゃんとクリスマス！クリスマス2010-2011 [Cat and Christmas! Christmas 2010-2011]". p. 11. http://www.geocities.jp/himaruya/xmas201111.html. Retrieved December 21, 2012.
- Himaruya, Hidekaz (April 2011). "２０１１年エイプリルフールログ". http://www.geocities.jp/himaruya/20110401.html. Retrieved December 21, 2012.
- Himaruya, Hidekaz (November 2011). "ハロウィーン 4ページ目 [Halloween Page 4]". p. 4. http://www.geocities.jp/himaruya/hall20114.html. Retrieved December 21, 2012.
- Himaruya, Hidekaz (December 2011). "クリスマスの 6ページ". http://www.geocities.jp/himaruya/2011_12_6.html. Retrieved December 21, 2012.
- Himaruya, Hidekaz (August 12, 2012). "[Translation Nordic Drama CD Track 1, Wordy Nordics"]. http://hetalia.livejournal.com/12305389.html. Retrieved December 21, 2012.
- Himaruya, Hidekaz (December 20, 2010). "(Drama CD) Hetalia Fantasia 2 Tracks 3 + 4 Translated!". http://hetalia.livejournal.com/9762298.html. Retrieved July 24, 2013.
- "Denmark - Norway - Iceland - TO APPEAR IN ANIME". February 4, 2009. http://hetalia.livejournal.com/673323.html. Retrieved December 15, 2012.
- Himaruya, Hidekaz (November 26, 2011). "「Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs」でのイギリスいじりは異常". http://himaruya.blog61.fc2.com/blog-entry-946.html. Retrieved February 8, 2012.
|Hetalia: Axis Powers Characters|
|Main Characters||Italy · Germany · Japan · America · England · France · Russia · China|
|Supporting Characters||Ancient Rome · Australia · Austria · Belarus · Belgium · Bulgaria · Cameroon · Canada · Cuba · Cyprus · Denmark · Egypt · Estonia · Finland · Germania · Greece · Holy Roman Empire · Hong Kong · Hungary · Hutt River · Iceland · India · Korea · Kugelmugel · Ladonia · Latvia · Liechtenstein · Lithuania · Luxembourg · Macau · Moldova · Molossia · Monaco · Netherlands · New Zealand · Nikoniko · Norway · Osaka · Picardy · Poland · Prussia · Romania · Sealand · Seborga · Seychelles · South Italy · Spain · Sweden · Switzerland · Taiwan · Thailand · Turkey · Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus · Ukraine · Vietnam · Wy|
|See also||Minor Characters · Historical Characters · Feudal Domains and Prefectures · Animals and Other Creatures · Nekotalia · Nyotalia · Mochitalia · Human names · Another color|
|Full Character List|