|Name||Republic of India (भारत गणराज्य)|
|Volume||Hetalia: Axis Powers Volume 5|
|Anime||Gakuen Hetalia: Go Forth! Newspaper Club!! Second Half (cameo)|
Hetalia of the Dead - Second Part (formal debut)
|English||T. K. Masala|
India (インド Indo) is a supporting character in the series Hetalia: Axis Powers.
India appears as a young man with dark hair that is combed back and a Tilaka on his forehead. In his initial appearance, he wears a dark suit and a pair of dark gloves along with a Fedora as a part of his Halloween dance routine based on a Bollywood film. In his second appearance, he is depicted in a light-colored suit and tie.
In Volume 5, India's eyes appear to be amber.
Personality and Interests
In an earlier blog post, Himaruya noted that India's personality is similar to Hungary's and was quite a crazy character. During the Halloween 2011 event, he expresses interest in, and later makes a grand entrance at America's party. In Lithuania's dream, he is shown to have a good relationship with Russia, which acts as a point of competition with China.
In Volume 5, India is mentioned to be extraordinarily skilled at mathematics and arguing, and emits the intense aura of a prince. He is also said to have "going my way" thoughts that overwhelm other countries.
Main article: Prussia
India invites Prussia (via Twitter) to partake in his appearance at America's Halloween party during the Halloween 2011 Hetalia event. The two arrive together, sporting fedoras and suits, and initiate a Bollywood-esque dance number from the film Veer. He later expresses shock and concern at Germany's take-down of Prussia.
India was first mentioned in the Anglo-Japanese Alliance strip, where he was listed as a country England would find hopeless to make an alliance with. India made his debut during the Halloween 2011 event. Twitter posts prior to the event reveal his plans to do something "magnificent" for Halloween. On the day of the party, his arrival is marked by musicians and dancers. India again appeared during the Christmas 2011 event, competing with China over whose friendship with Russia was stronger. This was revealed to be a dream of Lithuania's, brought about by Belarus' talking to him while he was asleep.
India briefly appears in a non-speaking cameo in Gakuen Hetalia: Go Forth! Newspaper Club!! Second Half as part of the Elephant Admiration Club alongside Thailand and their elephants. He makes his formal debut in the episode Hetalia of the Dead - Second Part, wherein England has borrowed an Indian horror film.
- In the animated rendition of the Anglo-Japanese Alliance strip, India's name was replaced with Spain's on England's list of hopeless alliances.
- For Halloween 2011, India dressed up as a character from the Indian film Veer.
- On his blog, Himaruya mentions that Pakistan was likely in the background somewhere during the Halloween event thinking "That bastard..." when spotting India. He goes on to say that the history between those two countries is full of great interactions.
- Himaruya, Hidekaz (2012). Axis Powers ヘタリア 5 [Axis Powers Hetalia 5]. Gentosha. p. 8. ISBN 978-4-344-82563-5.
- Himaruya, Hidekaz (May 27, 2011). "キター！！". http://himaruya.blog61.fc2.com/blog-entry-1169.html. Retrieved August 23,2016.
- Himaruya, Hidekaz (November 30, 2011). "お返事！". http://himaruya.blog61.fc2.com/blog-entry-1332.html. Retrieved June 2, 2012.