Holy Roman Empire
| Holy Roman Empire|
|Name||The Holy Roman Empire (Heiliges Römisches Reich, Imperium Romanum Sacrum)|
|Height||Approximately 95 cm (3'2, as a child)|
|Volume||Hetalia: Axis Powers Volume 1|
|Drama CD||Hetalia x Goodnight with Sheep Vol. 3|
Holy Roman Empire (神聖ローマ, Shinsei Rōma) is a supporting character in the series Hetalia: Axis Powers.
He is a small blond child, clad in a black hat and matching cloak. Underneath his cloak, he wears a long black tunic, and tan-colored breeches. In at least one illustration, his eyes are colored black, though they are colored dark blue in the Hetalia trading card game. In some instances, his black clothing is also colored navy blue.
A deleted character design by Hidekaz Himaruya, as well as an illustration included on Bamboo Thicket, both depict an older version of Holy Roman Empire (presumably in his early teens). In this design, he no longer wears his hat and has traded in his black/navy outfit for a white one. However, in the 2011 Bloodbath, Holy Roman Empire was depicted somewhat older, however his normal clothes are currently unknown as he was in what appeared to be a nightgown due to his illness from the lack of unity among his states.
The illustration on Bamboo Thicket, which was done as a tribute for a game that a fan created, depicts HRE in an outfit reminiscent of Prussia's Teutonic Knight uniform.
Personality and Interests
The grandson of Germania, he seemed strong but had a weak constitution. His main goal was to get Italy to become part of his empire. He was said to have loved "her" so much that his house crumbled and he didn't care.
He later threw himself into the Thirty Years War, but eventually, after long periods of fighting, he was believed to have crumbled and fallen.
Main Article: Austria
Though not shown much, Holy Roman Empire informed Italy that Austria constantly has him studying, which is why he was so smart. It's possible that he is a sort of teacher or mentor to him.
Main Article: Italy
He loved Italy whom he had believed to be female, and wanted to make "her" part of his empire, but the other child refused to join with him, having seen Grandpa Rome's scars the last time they saw him alive, not wanting to see similar ones on Holy Roman Empire.
When he left to go to war, Italy gave him the panties "she" had worn (changed to her deck brush in the anime) and they promised to see each other again when the war was over. He told Italy that he had he loved her since the 900s, and kissed her (a scene that was edited out of the published version of the manga but retained in the anime). After that moment, they never saw each other again. Hidekaz Himaruya has promised a "happy ending" to their relationship, but this ending has not been revealed yet.
In a later comic, Italy had met his younger self, possibly in a dream, who began demanding to be acknowledged by him, possibly hinting that Italy has repressed much of his childhood memories due to Holy Roman Empire's lack of return.
Holy Roman Empire first appears in the Chibitalia segment in Episode 01, and expresses his desire to make Italy become one with him. He continues to appear in the Chibitalia sub-storyline, up until Episode 11, when he runs away after Italy refuses to join with him. The sub-storyline was put on hiatus until Episode 21, where he prepared to leave for war.
In Episode 22, he bid Italy farewell as he headed off to war, though Italy wouldn't let him leave without "her" gift. In the anime adaptation, the scene with the panties was changed to Italy giving Holy Roman Empire "her" deck brush. HRE thought of how he loved Italy since the 900s, and they kissed. A post-credits teaser showed that HRE enjoyed his new deck brush very much. HRE later appears in brief cameos in episodes 39 and 40, dreaming of Italy (only to wake up and realize he was only dreaming).
His design was changed slightly for the anime, with his eyes becoming rounder and brighter in appearance. His breeches were also changed from tan to gray, and the navy blue coloring is used for the rest of his clothing.
The fifth volume of the anime DVD releases includes a version of Marukaite Chikyuu sung by Holy Roman Empire (along with a version sung by younger Italy). It was released on October 23, 2009.
- In a scrapped scene by Himaruya, France breaks the news of HRE's death to an older Italy and tells him to forget about him (as he's suffered enough in the war).
- It is hinted in the Buon San Valentino strips that Germany may in fact be HRE, or have some sort of connection to him. The plot point, however, has yet to be resolved. Himaruya himself tends to avoid directly answering any questions that pertain to whether the two are connected or not.
- Further hinting at the connection is the depiction of HRE as a teenager in the Christmas 2011 Event Strip, where he attempts to call order in a meeting of his conforming states reminiscent of Germany in the Meeting of the World strip. Unlike Germany, however, Holy Roman Empire seemed to become ill and vomit blood before collapsing from exhaustion he suffered due to the weakness that the lack of unity his states brought him.
- Though HRE is referred to as Germania's grandson in the official character profile by Himaruya, the Axis Powers Hetalia trading card game refers to HRE as his son.
- Hidekaz Himaruya has stated that HRE's clothes are based off of the clothes that philosophers wore in the time period that HRE grew up in.
- When asked by a fan what HRE's height was, Himaruya answered that Chibitalia was "7 apples tall" while Holy Roman Empire was "7 apples and one mandarin orange tall".