|Name||Commonwealth of Australia|
|Eye Color||Pale Green|
|Volume||Hetalia: Axis Powers Volume 3 (world map)|
Volume 4 (profiled)
Volume 5 (formal debut)
|Anime||Gakuen Hetalia: Go Forth! Newspaper Club!! Second Half|
Australia (オーストラリア, Ōsutoraria) is a supporting character in the series Hetalia: Axis Powers.
He has thick eyebrows resembling England's, due to having been one of his colonies. In the sole official colored sketch, he appears with brown hair and green eyes. He has two ahoge, rather than one, that change position depending on the angle, as well as an adhesive bandage across his nose. In most of his appearances, he appears to wear a khaki WWI-era Australian Digger's uniform with a necktie. In the original Japanese, he speaks in a Shikoku dialect, meant to represent Australia's "mysterious" English.
Personality and Interests
Wy has described Australia as acting as a big brother figure towards her. Volume 4 character notes describe him as being courageous regardless of the environment, and that his food is wild because of his wild personality. Australia states during the Christmas 2011 event that he finds the idea of a cold Christmas surprising. In the Halloween 2013 event, Australia is portrayed as a reckless and wild individual who neglects his responsibilities. Character notes describe him as the type to be having a conversation with someone one moment and chasing after a passing cat the next.
In nearly all of his appearances he is depicted with an evil-looking koala. During the segment How Each Nation Watches Movies (located at the end of Hetalia of the Dead in Volume 5), it is shown that Australia gets drunk at the movies. As well, he was pictured with a different koala. The koala appeared to be female as it had eyelashes, blush on its cheeks, and wore a small bow on the right side of its head. The koala was also smiling and in good spirits.
Main Article: Wy
Australia is an older brother figure to Wy, and is implied to have recognized her as a country (as the Mayor of the surrounding township has as well). While they are on good terms, Wy is still frustrated that she hasn't been allowed to build her driveway. At the Halloween 2011 site event, Australia is shown carrying a sleeping Wy on his back when the party is ending.
Australia's first appearance in the published manga was in the volume 3 Hetalia World Map. He made subsequent appearances online in sketches, an omake profile, the Christmas 2010 event, and the Halloween 2011 event. During the Christmas 2010 event, Australia checks himself for the mark indicating him to be the savior of the parallel nations' world and reports that he is lacking it. He, along with Tonga and New Zealand, dress as a sheep for America's Halloween party for the Halloween 2011 event. Australia appears again during the Christmas 2011 event having barbecue with New Zealand, Hutt River, and Wy at the beach.
Australia makes his first anime appearance in the Hetalia: The Beautiful World episode "Gakuen Hetalia: Go Forth! Newspaper Club!! Second Half" when Italy, Germany, and Japan were interviewing Hungary about the Swimming Club they are both in and asks Japan to swim with him.
- For the Halloween 2011 event, Australia dressed as a sheep with the other Oceania nations New Zealand and Tonga.
- In a Comic Diary strip, Austria is seen complaining that he is often called "Australia" due to the similarities in their names in Japanese, English, and several other languages, and as a result has a hairstyle similar to Austria's (but with two ahoge instead of one).
- A more recent blog post of Himaruya's has revealed his potential names to be Ralph, Christian, Kyle, and Jett.
- Himaruya, Hidekaz (March 18, 2010). "ファイナルマグロファンタジー" (in Japanese). http://himaruya.blog61.fc2.com/blog-entry-759.html. Retrieved October 2, 2012.
- Himaruya, Hidekaz (September 18, 2013). "東京オリンピックきたー！ [The Tokyo Olympics came!]". http://himaruya.blog61.fc2.com/blog-entry-1397.html. Retrieved September 17, 2013.
- "ハロウィーン２０１３おまけページ [Halloween 2013 Bonus Page]". http://www.geocities.jp/himaruya/2013omake2.html. Retrieved November 10, 2013.
- Himaruya, Hidekaz. "まとめ [Summary]". http://himaruya.blog61.fc2.com/blog-entry-1500.html. Retrieved November 12, 2013.
- Himaruya, Hidekaz (2012). Axis Powers ヘタリア 5 [Axis Powers Hetalia 5]. Gentosha. p. 14. ISBN 978-4-344-82563-5.
- Himaruya, Hidekaz (November 26, 2010). "「Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs」でのイギリスいじりは異常" (in Japanese). http://himaruya.blog61.fc2.com/blog-entry-946.html. Retrieved February 8, 2012.