|Name||Macao Special Administrative Region of the People's Republic of China (中華人民共和國澳門特別行政區)|
|Volume||Hetalia: Axis Powers Volume 4|
|Strip||Christmas 2010 (cameo)|
Ilha Formosa ~Beautiful Island~ (formal debut)
|Anime||Surprise Halloween! (non-speaking cameo)|
Macau (マカオ, Makao), also known as Macao, is a supporting character in the series Hetalia: Axis Powers.
Macau is said to be tall and has short dark brown hair with long bangs combed over to the side. He has golden eyes, wearing glasses with square curved lenses, and thin eyebrows. He wears a long black changshan (or "changpao") with white pants and dark shoes. He often wears smart-looking suits to casinos and anything business related.
In an early sketch he is depicted with a wider jaw and wearing a duangua with over-sized sleeves and without trim.
Personality and Interests
Macau is said to have made popular a unique culture within China, with heavy ties to Portugal who gave him the formal name "Macau Which Carries the Name of a Most Faithful God". He is not greedy by nature despite the high presence of gambling in the region. He appears calm and good at business, and tries to be philosophical, however there seems to be another part to him that has yet to be elaborated on. In foreign countries, this easygoing manner is called "relaxed governing." While he also operates in a business-like manner, he jokes around with Portugal, China, and Hong Kong, and treats Taiwan like a proper lady.
- Main Article: Hong Kong
Macau connects strongly to Hong Kong and they associate as good business and cultural partners. When Hong Kong had a rapid growth due to his ties with England, Macau restfully watched over him without rivalry, instead focusing his energies on seeking his own connections in Europe. In I, Like, Wanna be Free!, he tries to mediate a confrontation between Hong Kong and China over the former wanting independence. When Hong Kong gets upset and leaves, Macau refuses to stop him, remarking that Hong Kong was cuter when he was living with England.
- Main Article: Portugal
Macau received his formal name from Portugal, "Macau Which Carries the Name of a Most Faithful God." It is stated that they have a strong connection and they joke around despite Macau's business-like manner with others. It is stated in a 2011 blog post that Macau's relationship with Portugal is visible in his cuisine. During a conversation with Spain during the industrial revolution, Portugal brags that he still has Macau as an underling while Spain lost South Italy.
Macau makes a cameo appearance during the Christmas 2010 event where he reports to Sealand that he hasn't found any markings on his body, appearing much calmer than the rest of the other characters. He makes his formal debut in the Volume 4 strip Ilha Formosa ~Beautiful Island~ where he places a bet with Hong Kong and Taiwan about what clothes China would wear that day, and appears disturbed about how poorly he dresses. During the Halloween 2010 event, Macau attends America's Halloween party dressed in a Journey to the West-themed costume.
- The initial sketch of Macau appeared at the end of a series of posts showcasing a series of possible character designs for a Portugal character. At the time of the character's formal debut in volume 4, the Portugal character had yet to receive an official design.
- His underlings are said to be skillful at cooking as well as making toys and textiles. Their number one specialty is porcelain and ceramics.
- Himaruya, Hidekaz. "４巻新キャラまとめ [Volume 4 New Characters Summary]". http://www.geocities.jp/himaruya/4kasin.html. Retrieved October 5, 2012.
- Himaruya, Hidekaz (November 18, 2010). "らきがき". http://himaruya.blog61.fc2.com/blog-entry-939.html. Retrieved October 5, 2012.
- Hidekaz, Himaruya (2012). Axis Powers ヘタリア 5 [Axis Powers Hetalia 5]. Gentosha. p. 83-88. ISBN 978-4-344-82563-5.
- Himaruya, Hidekaz (July 10, 2011). "Untitled Bamboo Thicket 2 Blog Post 1208". http://himaruya.blog61.fc2.com/blog-entry-1208.html. Retrieved November 18, 2014.
- Himaruya, Hidekaz (June 22, 2015). "[77話]ヘタリア World☆Stars". http://www.shonenjump.com/p/sp/hetalia/Oep99jOpqtCUekTI/index.html. Retrieved June 24, 2015.
- Himaruya, Hidekaz. "メリークリスマス！！ Page 9". http://www.geocities.jp/himaruya/xmas20119.html. Retrieved June 16, 2014.
- Himaruya, Hidekaz (2011). ヘタリア Axis Powers 4 [Hetalia: Axis Powers 4]. Gentosha. p. 64. ISBN 978-4-3448-2233-7.