|Name||Russian Federation (Российская Федерация)|
|Human Name||Ivan Braginsky (Иван Брагинский/イヴァン・ブラギンスキ/Иван Брагинский)|
|Hair Color||Blond (manga), Beige (anime)|
|Eye Color||Blue (early colored artwork), Violet|
|Height||182 cm (5' 11.6")|
|Strip||Chapter 2: Allied Forces|
|Game||Gakuen Hetalia Portable|
|Drama CD||Hetalia Drama CD: Prologue|
Benjamin Komatsu (Flower Of Iris)
Russia (ロシア, Roshia) is a main character in the series Hetalia: Axis Powers. Between 2007 and 2008, Himaruya gave out human names to some of the characters and he received the name Ivan Braginsky (イヴァン・ブラギンスキ, Ivan Buraginsuki, Russian: Иван Брагинский).
The tallest of the Allies, as well as the tallest of all the nations (together with Sweden,) Russia wears a long, heavy tan coat, green pants, brown gloves, and a long tan or pink scarf. When not wearing his scarf, he is shown to wear bandages around his neck. He is often shown carrying around a bottle of vodka, a sunflower, or a faucet pipe. It's said that he'll pull the pipe out and put things that don't belong in it, such as food, only to pull them out and eat them later. He is very pale, and has a round, childish face with a prominent and distinctive nose. His hair is a pale ashen blond, and his eyes are violet (purple), though they were initially colored blue in early color artwork. Compared to the first drawings Russia's bangs fall to the left as Himaruya found that they looked better that way from the front. His expression is a calm and gentle smile almost all the time. Behind his constant smile, it's said no one knows what he's thinking.
In response to a fan question saying that Russia looked fat due to his thick clothing, Russia claimed to be big boned and was also drawn with a shirt saying such. Himaruya confirmed this in a later blog post addressing some of the nation's body types. He also said that Russia was drawn with a sturdy and robust frame due to the cold weather in Russia, however he commented that weather changes there resulted in very hot summers and that "maybe this Russia will melt (haha)." In W Academy Story: Advancing Very Little! W Academy Newspaper Club, Russia is described as bulky and muscular.
Personality and Interests
A large young man who seems bighearted, simplistic and innocent, but is in reality childishly cruel. Many of his things are big, like him. Quick to forgive and always looking for friends, he's shy and unsociable around people he doesn't consider friends. However he considers everyone his friend, and thus this side to him is rarely seen (He does, however, seem to have his doubts at times, such as when he sent a letter to France's radio show asking how to get people to love him back.). He comes off as intimidating without saying a word, his gentle smile and disposition only intensifying the aura of dread which seems to constantly hang over him. However, according to Lithuania, he has his calm moments at the strangest of times. Russia was also described as gentle and naive, and not malicious, just extremely scary. He is manipulative and finds amusement in tormenting others or watching arguments. According to Lithuania, he loves people who cry and laugh easily.  Though he is capable of being incredibly cruel-minded, Russia himself is unaware of this. Whenever he thinks of how his sisters have become strange, he becomes very depressed, such depression being seen as an "absolutely awful omen" by England. Russia ends many of his sentences with 'da', an informal form of 'desu' used to confirm the topic of the sentence, the ubiquitous form of 'to be,' as well as the Russian word for 'yes'.
When Russia greets people, he does so with a kiss on the lips. When Germany denied him the greeting also pushing his hand on his face to ensure he didn't kiss him, Russia immediately became very sad and pouted, beginning to walk away, before Germany insisted that he greet him any way but with a kiss to the mouth. Russia then said he would blow him a kiss, instead.
He has been tormented since his childhood, having seen many tragedies and wars, which have cracked his mentality. General Winter haunts and attacks him every year, which has caused him to hate the snow. However, in the face of war, General Winter is his best ally. His childhood was tough, troubled, and full of forced servitude, bullying, and constant pursuing by other countries Because of this, he was wouldn't allow himself to befriend Lithuania because he knew he was too weak. He dreams of one day living in a warm place surrounded by sunflowers.
When Russia is upset, he begins to chant "KolKolKol" to threaten and frighten others into submission. However, there has been speculation that there are other possible meanings for 'kol' than those involving kolkhoz:
- Tzar Ivan The Terrible's favorite way to deal with disobedience was impaling. 'To impale', pronounced in Russian as сажать на кол (sazhat' na kol), or just на кол 'na kol' is easily understood. So, Russia is possibly trying to intimidate people by the threat of impalement, although he is saying the noun 'kol' (which means 'stake', in this context being thrust towards a person).
- There is also the possibility that Russia could be issuing a warning to others. 'Kolokol' means 'bell' in Russian, and 'kol' is often used as an onomatopoeia in Russian for the tolling of a bell, a centuries-old designation of approaching danger.
- Another interpretation offered by the Japanese fandom is that "kolkolkol" is "korukorukoru", which sounds similar to "korosu", the Japanese word referring to killing.
However, in the Comic Birz serialization featuring Russia, instead of the usual kolkolkol, the normal sound effect for an intimidating aura was used, and Russia stayed silent, making it possible that this was retconned recently.
His heart seems to sometimes fall out of his chest. However, he simply blushes and acknowledges it as something that "just pops out of me, sometimes."
He loves vodka. Vodka is his fuel. Whenever he does anything, vodka is somehow involved. However, he's developed a negative relationship with England due to him getting in his way when he would try and invade southern countries to get it. In return, he gets in England's way, as well. England accidentally summoned him when trying to summon a demon to fight America with, and he broke Busby's chair when sitting in it.
In the mini-drama CD included with his character album, he mentions to Japan that his scarf is a body part and therefore he cannot take it off. This, however, may just be an excuse so he will not have to do so, seeing as how he didn't wear it as a small child before Ukraine gave it to him, and that in some artwork he is actually seen with it off. However, in Volume 4, he was shown to have some sort of control over it, as though it was an extra limb, using it to grab America, as well as it wrapping around America's ankle and China's neck in a chibi drawing of the Allies sleeping.
Main Article: Belarus
Russia is Belarus' older brother. While Belarus loves her brother to the point of obsession and wishes to marry him, he sees her only as a younger sibling and is frightened by her behavior. She is shown to stalk him, as well as stick by his side to intimidate others. It is also hinted in her and Ukraine's character song Carrots and Sticks that her sadism may even extend to her brother, as long as it keeps him with her. The Hetalia "desktop buddies" elaborated on Belarus' obsession for Russia further, with her stating her desire to get suggestive photos of her brother. According to Himaruya the dress that she wears is a gift from her brother, which is why she wears it so much even though it's rather old-fashioned and she tries to wear it as often as possible.
According to her appearance in the Sealand and Latvia mascots, she'll only tell her hobbies to her brother. Despite her creepy love for him, many of the things she imagines herself doing with him are fairly normal, such as walking through the woods, singing, "moving along smoothly," proudly smiling at each other, being in awe of nature's splendor, and "having a talk about the greatness of love." However her diary entries occasionally involve her doing things such as going through his garbage, stealing all his underwear, smelling and wearing his underwear as a nightcap, looking through pornographic pictures of him, and making a fansite for him as well. She's also expressed the desire to be his underwear, as well as his toothbrush and fantasized about having sex with him.
It's notable that, despite these things, when Belarus is not actively attempting to get him to marry her, they can get along peacefully and he at least values her opinion.
Main Article: China
Though Russia and China had a close relationship throughout their history, China is very suspicious and fearful of him, especially after the Sino-Soviet Split. In return, Russia has been shown to stalk China, especially when disguised in a panda suit.
Main Article: Lithuania
In the past, Lithuania was Russia's subordinate and is not-too-subtly hinted to be a victim of his abuse; in a flashback, Lithuania is shown wearing a maid costume with Russia lashing him with a whip in the While You Were Gone strip. In the present, Russia wishes that Lithuania, along with the rest of the world, was "one with Russia". When he visited America, who was taking care of Lithuania after WWI, he told America to be good to his 'ex,' but during the Great Depression, Lithuania returned to Russia's home. Once, Russia listened to Lithuania's dreams and went so far as to share his own of "living in a warm place with sunflowers"; soon after, Russia allowed Lithuania to fall asleep on his shoulder, though he replaced himself with a panda when Lithuania woke up the second time.
Main Article: Poland
The two have argued with each other at least since the early 1600s, when Poland succeeded in capturing Moscow. Russia's revenge for this was taking part, together with Prussia and Austria, in the partitions of Poland. In 1939, Russia decided to partition Poland again, this time in conjunction with Germany. Their relationship was further soured by the years of post-war Soviet domination.
It should be noted that Poland is not afraid of Russia; he actively defends Lithuania from Russia, despite the inherent threat.
Main Article: Ukraine
Ukraine is Russia's older sister, and she acted as a mother to both him and Belarus when they were younger. They have a very complicated relationship. Russia finds her kind and steady, yet weak. After the fall of the Soviet Union, she is desperate to distance herself from Russia and make friends in the European Union. This makes Russia very depressed, and he wonders why Ukraine "hates" him. However, Ukraine still loves Russia and will try to provide resources to him, only to be blocked by her bosses or other issues between them, such as paying for oil. Russia wonders why their relationship went sour, and tries reminiscing on a time in their childhood where they got along peacefully, only to realize that they had never seen eye-to-eye. She gave Russia his most frequently worn scarf on a brutal and cold day, but then told him he had to make Kiev successful in return. 
Russia appears at the meeting in Episode 01, stating that he only wants to see a troubled Lithuania come running back to him. His plan is quickly thwarted by Poland, who threatened to make his capital Warsaw.
In Episode 42 Russia introduces us to his family, adapting the strip Russia's Older And Younger Sisters.
Russia's design is relatively the same in the anime adaptation, though the color of his scarf was changed from tan to pink. His hair is also colored more beige than blonde.
- In the World War-set strips, Russia technically represents the Soviet Union, rather than the Russian Federation (as evidenced by his flag). However, Himaruya explained in liner notes that he was simply called Russia in the series due to it being cuter and the kana being simpler to write. His birthday being given as December 30th also corresponds with the date that the Soviet Union was founded. Although another possibility for Russia's birthday could be June 12, when that date corresponds with the day the First Congress of People's Deputies of the Russian Federation had adopted the State Sovereignty of the RSFSR on June 12, 1990. To this day, Russia Day is celebrated on June 12.
- While the flag used for Russia is the Soviet flag in most of the webcomic, the published version of the manga, as well as the anime and merchandise, has opted to use the standard Russian flag.
- Russia's jacket is a stylized Red Army overcoat, with the colors reversed.
- In response to a fan's question (circa 2007), Himaruya stated that Russia is unaware of his own cruelty.
- In chapter four of the Hetalia manga, after a heart pops out of Russia's chest, he claims it as his own, saying "it just pops out of me sometimes". Some fans see it as possibly symbolic of the heartbreak he's suffered in his time, or a representation of just how mentally damaged he is (while the other Allies are completely freaked out, Russia doesn't even seem to mind that his own heart is literally falling out.)
- Notes in the special edition booklet for Hetalia: Axis Powers volume 3 revealed that Russia was originally intended to be dark-haired and middle-aged in appearance, and a typical large, crybaby older man who drinks. The current Russia was first introduced in the first chapter, and it's a "marvel" how he wound up the way he did.
- The instrumental part of his Marukaite Chikyuu is from "Коробейники/Korobeiniki" a Russian folk song popularized outside of Russia because of its use in Tetris.
- Himaruya, Hidekaz (May 2007). "(cache) 【ジョルジュ長岡を心の底から愛でまくるサイト】 キタユメ。 【まゆ毛がステキ】". Archived from the original on November 22, 2007. http://megalodon.jp/2007-1122-0436-47/www.geocities.jp/himaruya/5gatu.htm. Retrieved October 8, 2012.
- Himaruya, Hidekaz (2008). ヘタリア Axis Powers [Hetalia: Axis Powers]. Gentosha. p. 84. ISBN 978-4-3448-1275-8.
- Himaruya, Hidekaz. "ヘタレ３ G-R Nonaggression Pact? [Hetare 3: G-R Nonaggression Pact?]". p. 8. http://www.geocities.jp/himaruya/i_i11.htm. Retrieved June 22, 2012.
- Hidekaz, Himaruya (2008). Axis Powers ヘタリア 2 [Axis Powers Hetalia 2]. Gentosha. p. 15. ISBN 978-4-3448-1514-8.
- Hidekaz, Himaruya (2012). Axis Powers ヘタリア 5 特装版 [Axis Powers Hetalia 5 Specially Equipped Edition]. Gentosha. p. 18-19. ISBN 978-4-344-82563-5.
- Hidekaz, Himaruya (May 27, 2008). "メタボリック俺 [Metabolic Me]". http://himaruya.blog61.fc2.com/blog-entry-58.html. Retrieved September 11, 2012.
- Hidekaz, Himaruya (March 11, 2009). "2話デッドヒート中でござる [Tshirts]". http://himaruya.blog61.fc2.com/blog-entry-497.html. Retrieved September 11, 2012.
- Hidekaz, Himaruya (July 30, 2007). "ベラルーシさんとウクライナさんの軍服バージョン [Belarus And Ukraine's Military Uniform Versions]". http://himaruya.blog61.fc2.com/blog-entry-1228.html. Retrieved September 11, 2012.
- Hidekaz, Himaruya (2008). Axis Powers ヘタリア [Axis Powers Hetalia]. Gentosha. p. 84. ISBN 978-4-3448-1275-8.
- Hidekaz, Himaruya (2012). Axis Powers ヘタリア 5 [Axis Powers Hetalia 5]. Gentosha. p. 21. ISBN 978-4-344-82563-5.
- Hidekaz, Himaruya (2010). Axis Powers ヘタリア 3 [Axis Powers Hetalia 3]. Gentosha. p. 17. ISBN 978-4-3448-1938-2.
- Hidekaz, Himaruya (2008). Axis Powers ヘタリア 2 [Axis Powers Hetalia 2]. Gentosha. p. 58. ISBN 978-4-3448-1514-8.
- Hidekaz, Himaruya (2008). Axis Powers ヘタリア 2 [Axis Powers Hetalia 2]. Gentosha. p. 52. ISBN 978-4-3448-1514-8.
- Himaruya, Hidekaz (January 2, 2012). "2011 Christmas Event". http://www.geocities.jp/himaruya/2011_12_10.html. Retrieved September 13, 2012.
- Hidekaz, Himaruya (2011). Axis Powers ヘタリア 4 [Axis Powers Hetalia 4]. Gentosha. p. 72. ISBN 978-4-3448-2233-7.
- Hidekaz, Himaruya (2010). Axis Powers ヘタリア 3 [Axis Powers Hetalia 3]. Gentosha. p. 90. ISBN 978-4-3448-1938-2.
- Hidekaz, Himaruya (2008). Axis Powers ヘタリア [Axis Powers Hetalia]. Gentosha. p. 50. ISBN 978-4-3448-1275-8.
- Hidekaz, Himaruya (2008). Axis Powers ヘタリア [Axis Powers Hetalia]. Gentosha. p. 64-65. ISBN 978-4-3448-1275-8.
- Hidekaz, Himaruya (2008). Axis Powers ヘタリア 2 [Axis Powers Hetalia 2]. Gentosha. p. 58. ISBN 978-4-3448-1514-8.
- Himaruya, Hidekaz. "今日の落書き [Today's Doodles]". http://www.geocities.jp/himaruya/rkgk2.htm. Retrieved December 10, 2010.
- Himaruya, Hidekaz (May 25, 2011). "連合 [Allies]". http://himaruya.blog61.fc2.com/blog-entry-1167.html. Retrieved December 10, 2010.
- Himaruya, Hidekaz (July 9, 2008). "発掘ブライアンボイターノ５ [Discovery Of Brian Boitano 5]". http://himaruya.blog61.fc2.com/blog-entry-176.html. Retrieved December 10, 2010.
- Hidekaz, Himaruya (2011). Axis Powers ヘタリア 4 [Axis Powers Hetalia 4]. Gentosha. p. 6. ISBN 978-4-3448-2233-7.
- Hidekaz, Himaruya (May 17, 2011). "メラニートの祭壇 [Meranito's Altar]". http://himaruya.blog61.fc2.com/blog-entry-1147.html.
- Hidekaz, Himaruya. "飛び越せ！カナダさん [G8 Again!]". http://www.geocities.jp/himaruya/cnd.html. Retrieved September 11, 2012.
- Himaruys, Hidekaz. "ヘタレ２ Allied forces [Hetare 2: Allied Forces]". p. 12. http://www.geocities.jp/himaruya/a_i13.htm. Retrieved September 24, 2012.
- Himaruya, Hidekaz (2007). "MoeKan scanlations + a few interesting old bits of trivia". Archived from the original on November 8, 2009. http://z15.invisionfree.com/Hetayume_Forums/index.php?showtopic=22. Retrieved September 14, 2012.
- Himaruya, Hidekaz (2010). Axis Powers ヘタリア 3 特装版 [Axis Powers Hetalia 3 Specially Equipped Edition]. Gentosha. p. 26. ISBN 978-4-3448-1938-2.
|Hetalia: Axis Powers Characters|
|Main Characters||Italy · Germany · Japan · America · England · France · Russia · China|
|Supporting Characters||Ancient Rome · Australia · Austria · Belarus · Belgium · Bulgaria · Cameroon · Canada · Cuba · Cyprus · Denmark · Egypt · Estonia · Finland · Germania · Greece · Holy Roman Empire · Hong Kong · Hungary · Hutt River · Iceland · India · Korea · Kugelmugel · Ladonia · Latvia · Liechtenstein · Lithuania · Macau · Moldova · Molossia · Monaco · Netherlands · New Zealand · Nikoniko · Norway · Osaka · Picardy · Poland · Prussia · Romania · Sealand · Seborga · Seychelles · South Italy · Spain · Sweden · Switzerland · Taiwan · Thailand · Turkey · Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus · Ukraine · Vietnam · Wy|
|See also||Minor Characters · Historical Characters · Feudal Domains and Prefectures · Animals and Other Creatures · Nekotalia · Nyotalia · Mochitalia · Human names · Another color|
|Full Character List|