|Human Name||Matthew Williams (マシュー・ウィリアムズ, Mashū Wiriamuzu)|
|Alternate Spellings||Matthieu, Mathieu|
|Hair Color||Blond/Orange (manga), Dark Blond (Axis Powers and World Series anime), Blond (Beautiful World anime)|
|Eye Color||Violet (manga, Beautiful World), Blue (Axis Powers, World Series)|
|Volume||Hetalia: Axis Powers Volume 1|
|Strip||Fly, Mr. Canada, Fly!|
|Game||Gakuen Hetalia Portable|
|Drama CD||Hetalia: Axis Powers Character CD Vol. 7- Russia|
Canada (カナダ, Kanada) is a supporting character in the series Hetalia: Axis Powers. Between 2007 and 2008, Himaruya gave out human names to some of the characters and he received the name Matthew Williams (マシュー・ウィリアムズ, Mashū Wiriamuzu).
His hair is wavy, and depicted at times as being two-toned: a lighter blond on top, with more of an orange (or darker blond) shade on the bottom and tips. He has violet eyes, though they have also been colored blue in some official art. At least one figurine depicts him with completely orange hair. He also sports a curly ahoge off the top of his head.
Canada wears a heavy tan winter coat and pants as his military uniform, though when he is dressed casually, he is usually shown wearing a hoodie (sometimes depicted with the Canadian flag emblem on it), and a pair of jeans. Like his brother, Canada wears glasses, though he also sports a pair of goggles on his head at times (such as when wearing his uniform).
Although often drawn as shorter in fanart, official art makes it clear that he is either the same height/build as his brother, or very close to it.
Personality and Interests
In contrast to his brother, Canada is calm, shy, sensitive, and hates fighting (But, it is said that he is a very strong fighter). Despite this, he is often mistaken for his brother and has found himself in trouble for incidents that America has caused. When he is not being mistaken for his brother, other nations tend to forget that he exists. He is also passive aggressive and was once able to make America cry by arguing with him for over three hours and pointing out every single one of his faults. It is also implied in a chapter he loves maple syrup as he is shown offering America some for his coffee. According to Himaruya, he's always been a rather good tactician, and this was displayed in a comic set during the Revolutionary War in which Canada assisted England, whose letters to America were normally not accepted, by writing on a note attached to the letter, "there are snacks inside," strongly tempting America to accept and open the letter. Canada also likes to play ice hockey and lacrosse, and drives a tractor on his days off.
Main Article: America
The two brothers grew up separately as children, until England eventually took Canada on a trip to meet America, who wound up becoming bored with him and forgetting him shortly into their first meeting. While they are later shown to have gotten along quite well, Canada could not match America's rapid growth and development and he was not able to mature at the same time as his brother, causing him to remain a child while America began to reach his adolescence.
In their adulthood, America is the source of his constant troubles, due to the fact that people get their identities mixed up; he is blamed for fights that America started or is spoken to as America. However, during an argument, Canada was able to reduce him to tears when he went on a 3-hour rant about all of his flaws. Despite this, the two seem to have a healthy relationship, as their arguing and America's frequent forgetting of him can merely come off as sibling rivalry. America tends to visit his house on occasion and is seen to be the one Canada spends the most time with.
In World☆Stars, When America catches Canada behaving out of character, he tells him he was fine just the way he is, a statement which Canada takes offense to. While Canada envies America's image, believing him to be indifferent to his pain, America walks away believing that "he doesn't know how blessed he is" to have a rare personality to get along with everyone and not understanding why he would want to change it. America is also found to be taken aback that Canada knows so much about his politics and entertainment, but in truth, he knows little about Canada's.
Main Article: Cuba
Cuba initially mistook Canada for America and attacked him. He later apologized with a peace offering of ice cream and an invite to his place. When Canada arrived, however, Cuba once again mistook him for his brother.
During the Christmas 2010 event, Cuba was the one to call Canada, warning him of the disappearance of countries and suggesting that they stick together. Later on Canada, instead of searching for the missing nations, decides to take pictures of himself with Cuba and Kumajirou in silly positions. The two get along well, though Cuba still confuses Canada with America.
Main Article: Seychelles
In World☆Stars, Seychelles is shown to remember him and his place in the G8. This makes Canada excited, and he decides to make a large and lavish "impact" to thank her and make sure she always remembers him. However, Canada's strange and out-of-character behavior frightens her, and she doesn't see who he is because she could never believe Canada would be such a "show off."
Canada and Kumajirou appear in Episode 19, at an Allied Forces meeting. But due to his "invisibility effect", the other Allies do not realize that he's there with them.
His design was slightly altered for the first four seasons of the anime, with his violet eyes changed to a blue, and the gradient effect of his hair removed. His hair is drawn slightly shorter and straighter as well. Both Canada's hair and eyes are a darker shade than his brother's. His casual hoodie, often assumed to be red (though colored light green in one official picture), is also colored teal. In Hetalia: The Beautiful World, his hair is changed to be a regular blond color, while his eyes became a light violet.
He is voiced by Katsuyuki Konishi, who also voices America in the anime. In an interview with PASH magazine, Konishi said that he played Canada's voice as very quiet and "barely above a whisper", in contrast to the louder brother. His English voice actor, Eric Vale, also voices America and plays Canada's voice in much the same way.
- His birthday, July 1st, corresponds to the national holiday of Canada Day, when Canada first became independent on July 1st, 1867, though full independence was not gained until April 17, 1982.
- It is a source of debate among fans as to whether it is America or Canada that is the older of the two brothers (with Hidekaz Himaruya having not confirmed a set age difference between the two). A common fanon assumption is that the two are twins, due to their similarities and the fact that Canada is easily mistaken for America (due to having the same face), though the two do not share the same day of birth. Supporters of this theory point out the nations' birthdays merely refer to their date of independence or unification, and that a "nation" may not have an official birthday in the same sense as humans.
- Canada was one of the Allied Forces during the second world war, which would bring the total of Allied powers in the story to six. Canada was the third strongest western power, and contributed a lot in the war, but being under so much British influence much of Canada's efforts were considered British efforts. This can be considered a contribution to Canada's invisibility. This could also explain why Canada is not often seen amongst the others when the Allies are acting together.
- Himaruya, Hidekaz (March 25, 2008). "ナンタケットの小さなおうち". Archived from the original on June 8, 2013. http://bamboothicket2.livejournal.com/223961.html. Retrieved June 13, 2013.
- Himaruya, Hidekaz (2008). ヘタリア Axis Powers 2 [Hetalia: Axis Powers 2]. Gentosha. p. 20. ISBN 978-4-3448-1514-8.
- Himaruya, Hidekaz. "飛び越せ！カナダさん [Fly, Canada-san, fly!]". http://www.geocities.jp/himaruya/cnd.html. Retrieved September 21, 2012.
- Himaruya, Hidekaz (December 2011). "クリスマスの 6ページ". http://www.geocities.jp/himaruya/2011_12_6.html. Retrieved December 21, 2012.
- Himaruya, Hidekaz (November 13, 2014). "びくぶる [Trembling Trio]". http://himaruya.blog61.fc2.com/blog-entry-1598.html. Retrieved November 14, 2014.
- Himaruya, Hidekaz (June 17, 2016). "[180話]ヘタリア World☆Stars". http://www.shonenjump.com/p/sp/hetalia/erFQoM4gZbIR0HEY/index.html. Retrieved June 19, 2016.
- Himaruya, Hidekaz (June 6, 2016). "[177話]ヘタリア World☆Stars". http://www.shonenjump.com/p/sp/hetalia/iEXt3QfLnW9YuwZN/index.html. Retrieved June 14, 2016.
- Himaruya, Hidekaz (June 13, 2016). "[179話]ヘタリア World☆Stars". http://www.shonenjump.com/p/sp/hetalia/TrN9WvsPPftAcDFn/index.html. Retrieved June 14, 2016.
- Himaruya, Hidekaz. "メリークリスマス！！ Page 8". http://www.geocities.jp/himaruya/xmas20118.html. Retrieved June 19, 2016.
- Himaruya, Hidekaz (May 30, 2016). "[175話]ヘタリア World☆Stars". http://www.shonenjump.com/p/sp/hetalia/EoCfwSU5Vbg5MOZ9/index.html. Retrieved June 14, 2016.
- Himaruya, Hidekaz (June 3, 2016). "[176話]ヘタリア World☆Stars". http://www.shonenjump.com/p/sp/hetalia/Kk7qN7fJ9VsbS67X/index.html. Retrieved June 14, 2016.