|Name||Republic of Kugelmugel (Republik Kugelmugel)|
Light blond (anime)
|Volume||Hetalia: Axis Powers Volume 6|
|Strip||It's a Pandora Box of Countries|
|Anime||It's a Pandora Box of Countries! - First Part|
Kugelmugel (クーゲルムーゲル Kūgerumūgeru ) is a supporting character in the series Hetalia: Axis Powers.
Kugelmugel appears as a young man with violet eyes and white hair kept in two long braids. He has a mole similar to Austria's, but it's under his left eye instead of his right. He wears a red beret, from under which springs an ahoge. Kugelmugel wears a white vest with a blue-striped dress shirt underneath. He also sports baggy purple shorts, tan leggings, boots, and a small bow. On both his vest and beret is an insignia resembling a coat of arms. He and Ladonia are equal in height to one another, and shorter than Sealand. Liechtenstein appears to have mistaken him for a young girl, though the other countries have not made this mistake.
Personality and Interests
Kugelmugel is a micronation located in Austria. He is an artist who Austria describes as being eccentric. In his debut, Kugelmugel is found hugging his knees and pondering whether revolution and Baumkuchen are art, and seems to believe many things are art, as he suddenly exclaims that declaring his independence is art as well. He also shows a desire to make things more artistic as well, such as when he asks to make his home bigger for that reason. He also competes with Ladonia in making a clay deer that he deems a more artistic version of what Ladonia had just made. It also is stated that "If it doesn’t register on his art sensor, his body rejects it."
His demeanor is shown to make other characters uncomfortable, such as when Sealand, Seborga, and Wy decide to avoid him after witnessing one of his outbursts. Germany describes him as "difficult to deal with" while Switzerland says he has a "dangerous aura" radiating from him. In a blog post it is stated that Kugelmugel and Iceland may be alike due to their similar appearances, but that if they were to spend time together Iceland would be thoroughly ordered around.
- Main article: Ladonia
Kugelmugel and Ladonia appear to bond during the meeting of the artistic micronations. After Ladonia makes a clay deer, Kugelmugel wakes up and makes his own clay deer that is sleeker and tougher-looking. While Ladonia is initially shocked by this, he is ultimately impressed by it and enthusiastically declares that it's cool, and they continue to discuss it while Wy leaves.
- Main article: Liechtenstein
Liechtenstein and Switzerland come across Kugelmugel by chance as he is outside is house raving about art. Realizing who his is, Liechtenstein rushes over and says that she's honored to meet him. She also mentions that while she's heard he is cute, he is actually adorable. This seems to give him a self-esteem boost as he later says to his boss that "small living things are art" - though he may be referring to Liechtenstein as well. During the present timeline of the Christmas 2011 event, Liechtenstein states that she would love to meet him again, though she doesn't seem to realize that he is a boy.
Kugelmugel makes his debut appearance in It's a Pandora Box of Countries, where Wy, Sealand, and Seborga come to his house to ask him to join their circle of friends. However, upon seeing him freak out by himself about art, they don't have the nerve to approach him and leave without interrupting. However, he appears to have been invited to join off-screen, as he makes a brief appearance among the group at the end of the story making a thumbs-down sign. He appears during a flashback in the Christmas 2011 event, where Switzerland and Liechtenstein encounter him outside his sphere-shaped house, shouting at it, and Liechtenstein introduces herself to him. This is followed by Kugelmugel asking his king to make his house bigger as "small things aren't art" (only small living things are). In one of the additional request comics for the same event, he appears alongside Wy and Ladonia at the meeting of the artistic micronations. He is asleep at the table, but wakes up when Ladonia finishes making a clay deer. He takes his own clay and makes a version that is visibly sleeker and tougher-looking, which he declares to have a "more artistic feel" and deems it "fine art". While he does not appear in the storylines of the Halloween 2013 event, he appears in sketches that show him in costume, and he declares that the first one isn't art.
Kugelmugel makes his debut anime appearance in the episode "It's a Pandora Box of Countries! - First Part", voiced by Mitsuhiro Ichiki. The episode adapts his initial appearance in the story of the same name. His anime design lacks the insignia on his hat and vest, and changes his hair color from a silver to a light blond color. He also makes a cameo at the end of the episode "It's a Pandora Box of Countries! - Second Part" mirroring his appearance in the story.
- While Kugelmugel is shown speaking to the "King" during the Christmas 2011 site event, the micronation was actually a Republic and never had a ruler holding the title of "King".
- During sketches posted during the Halloween 2013 event, he is shown wearing a costume that has cat ears, and he declares that it isn't art. In the other sketch he is shown wearing a shirt with a cat design on it.
- Himaruya, Hidekaz. "国の玉手箱やぁ". http://www.geocities.jp/himaruya/tamate.html. Retrieved September 14, 2015.
- Himaruya, Hidekaz (December 12, 2011). "トップ絵更新". http://himaruya.blog61.fc2.com/blog-entry-1345.html. Retrieved September 6, 2015.
- Himaruya, Hidekaz. "クリスマス2011 Page 1". http://www.geocities.jp/himaruya/2011_12.html. Retrieved September 14, 2015.
- Himaruya, Hidekaz. "２０１１年クリスマスのリクエスト漫画". http://www.geocities.jp/himaruya/2011_12_re.html. Retrieved September 19, 2015.
- Himaruya, Hidekaz (November 9, 2013). "リクエスト39". http://himaruya.blog61.fc2.com/blog-entry-1486.html. Retrieved September 19, 2015.
- Himaruya, Hidekaz (January 26, 2012). "二人". http://himaruya.blog61.fc2.com/blog-entry-1386.html. Retrieved September 19, 2015.
- Himaruya, Hidekaz (November 9, 2014). "仮装２！". http://himaruya.blog61.fc2.com/blog-entry-1591.html. Retrieved September 19, 2015.