|Name||Republic Of Turkey (Türkiye Cumhuriyeti)|
|Human Name||Sadık Adnan (サディク・アドナン, Sadiku Adonan)|
|Eye Color||Green (early colored artwork), Brown|
|Volume||Hetalia: Axis Powers Volume 2|
|Strip||Boss Spain's Control of Southern Italy (Part 2)|
|Drama CD||Axis Powers Hetalia: The CD|
Hanmei Okina (Flower Of Iris)
Turkey (トルコ,Toruko) is a supporting character in the series Hetalia: Axis Powers. In his younger years, he is known as the Ottoman Empire. Between 2007 and 2008, Himaruya gave human names to some of the characters and he received the name Sadık Adnan (サディク・アドナン, Sadiku Adonan).
Turkey is rather tall and olive-skinned, with a slight stubble on his chin (much like France). He wears a long green (sometimes tan) coat, brown pants, knee-high boots, a tan scarf, and a red fez hat. His face is usually obscured by a white mask. Like Greece, he has a double haircurl, but it rests down by his neck.
When not dressed up, he can often be seen wearing a green parka and brown pants.
Personality and Interests
Turkey is described as being a lively and excessively vigorous old man. Although his exact age has never been revealed, he is one of the nations in the cast who appear to be physically older. Known as the Ottoman Empire in his younger years, Turkey was a very powerful nation with an overwhelming army force. He had the intention to conquer Europe, who was quite scared of him at the time. In the modern days, however, he thinks about befriending them.
He is usually merry and friendly, yet he is determined to compete anytime with anyone (especially Greece) about the smallest things due to his somewhat stubborn nature. He can also be nosy from time to time.
Turkey is also shown to be a huge show off; it is mentioned that he is always seeking for new things and fashion, and always stays in style. He loves to entertain tourists, and is quite a gourmet who enjoys eating various things every day. He favors the taste of sweet foods like ashure and it is revealed that he carries a bottle of a sort of apple juice to drink during breaks. His other favourite drinks include coffee (with a huge amount of sugar) and rakı, a type of Turkish alcohol. He speaks in an Edo dialect.
Main Article: Greece
Turkey took Greece under his control after having caused the fall of Constantinople and the Byzantine Empire. Greece remained under Ottoman control until the 19th century, when he became involved in a war to regain his independence and won. The two of them are unable to get along in the same environment without a fight of some sort, even after declaring a cease-fire, and will fight over even the most petty things. Turkey built a shopping mall near Greece's border for his usage in spite of their rivalry, and Greece said he would go shopping in Turkey if he happened to be near their border. In a Christmas 2011 strip they seemed to enjoy each others company in the past when Turkey began telling stories to young Greece and Egypt. It was noted that they both share the same trait of being unable to help but stop what they're doing and dance whenever they hear music.
Greece has admitted that he's tried to get along with Turkey, but he always ends up using his "Hellas punch" on him. When asked if he could remember a time they did something fun together, he remembered when Turkey began to "bully" him in a bathhouse, though everything he did was positive(turning up the sauna's heat; scratching the dirt off of his body; massaging and stretching to remedy his stiff bones; and washing him with a loofa) as opposed to harmful.
Main Article: Iceland
Iceland and Turkey appear to have a very friendly relationship. In 2010 Christmas/New Years event they hung out together at the Nordics house, Iceland referring to him as "Pops". In the 2011 Christmas event Iceland is shown having a dream involving Turkey partially naked and wearing a Santa hat.
Main Article: Italy
Turkey, as the Ottoman Empire, tried to conquer Italy, much like he tried to do with his older brother. However, unlike Romano, Italy actually defeated him once in a naval battle and became his rival. Many years later, when Germany and Italy visited him, Turkey jokingly commented on how Veneziano used to be strong, much to Germany's surprise. He doesn't hold any grudge about it, and even caught the pickpocket that had taken Italy's camera.
Main Article: Japan
Turkey seems to have a soft spot for Japan, and Japan, in turn, has mutual respect for him. In one strip, Turkey starts fighting with Greece when he sees them together, presuming Greece wanted to take over Japan. Turkey also threatened France on April Fool's with "Don't you dare try anything on Japan. Or else I'll invade you." In Volume 4 it is shown that merch displaying the friendship between them are everywhere in Turkey.
Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus
Main Article: Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus
Turkey is the only nation to recognize TRNC as a legitimate country. In turn, TRNC describes Turkey as gentle and greatly admires him, going as far as to defend him against Greece in arguments.
Turkey first appears in Episode 55, where he fights with Greece over who gets to be with Japan. The two wind up having to hang out with Turkey in the end. In Episode 75 he makes an appearance when he attacks South Italy, when he was known as the Ottoman Empire.
In the first four seasons of the anime adaptation, his skin is lighter, and the visual gag of his eyebrows showing through his mask was elaborated in his design, showing an obvious thick dark pair of eyebrows through the white color.
Interestingly enough, Turkey was reverted to being olive-skinned in Hetalia: The Beautiful World, and his mask became a shade of grey, rather than a pale white like his previous anime incarnation. He appears in the adaptation of the Gakuen Hetalia Newspaper Club strip, and is seen in the Gourmet Club.
- Turkey is always shown with his mask in the manga, save for two panels in Christmas Rampage 2007 when he becomes unmasked, though his face still remains obscured (first by an arm, and then somewhat shadowed out). The first instance of him appearing maskless was in the Hetalia trading card set, though he is drawn facing off to the side, preventing an entire view of his face from being shown. The second instance was a drawing Himaruya posted to his blog, where Turkey's face is clearly visible, albeit in shadow. In August 2010, a profile of Turkey was posted on Bamboo Thicket and included a link to a version where he was not wearing his mask, the first time his face is entirely visible, although still slightly shadowed.
- His birthday corresponds with Republic Day (October 29th, 1923), when the Ottoman Empire was dissolved and Turkey officially became a republic.
- In volume 4 it was revealed that he is a member of the Academy Gourmet Food Club along with France and China. In the same scene of this colored chapter, a graphic hue edit or lighting error used to accentuate the punchline of this scene accidentally discolored the character's pants, which were part of the W Academy Uniform, to an odd shade of green, opening a door for some fan confusion.
- Himaruya, Hidekaz (May 2007). "(cache) 【ジョルジュ長岡を心の底から愛でまくるサイト】 キタユメ。 【まゆ毛がステキ】". Archived from the original on November 22, 2007. http://megalodon.jp/2007-1122-0436-47/www.geocities.jp/himaruya/5gatu.htm. Retrieved October 8, 2012.
- Himaruya, Hidekaz (2008). ヘタリア Axis Powers 2 [Hetalia: Axis Powers 2]. Gentosha. p. 20. ISBN 978-4-3448-1514-8.
- Himaruya, Hidekaz (8/10/2010). "2010 Mini Profile Cards". http://www.geocities.jp/himaruya/h_micro.html. Retrieved 9/11/2010.
- Himaruya, Hidekaz (2011). ヘタリア Axis Powers 4 [Axis Powers Hetalia 4]. Gentosha. p. 92. ISBN 978-4-3448-2233-7.
- Himaruya, Hidekaz (2011). ヘタリア Axis Powers 4 [Axis Powers Hetalia 4]. Gentosha. p. 93. ISBN 978-4-3448-2233-7.
|Hetalia: Axis Powers Characters|
|Main Characters||Italy · Germany · Japan · America · England · France · Russia · China|
|Supporting Characters||Ancient Rome · Australia · Austria · Belarus · Belgium · Bulgaria · Cameroon · Canada · Cuba · Cyprus · Denmark · Egypt · Estonia · Finland · Germania · Greece · Holy Roman Empire · Hong Kong · Hungary · Hutt River · Iceland · India · Korea · Kugelmugel · Ladonia · Latvia · Liechtenstein · Lithuania · Luxembourg · Macau · Moldova · Molossia · Monaco · Netherlands · New Zealand · Nikoniko · Norway · Osaka · Persia · Picardy · Poland · Portugal · Prussia · Romania · Sealand · Seborga · Seychelles · South Italy · Spain · Sweden · Switzerland · Taiwan · Thailand · Turkey · Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus · Ukraine · Vietnam · Wy|
|See also||Minor Characters · Historical Characters · Feudal Domains and Prefectures · Animals and Other Creatures · Nekotalia · Nyotalia · Mochitalia · Human names · Another color|
|Full Character List|