|Name||Republic Of Lithuania (Lietuvos Respublika)|
|Human Name||Toris Laurinaitis (トーリス・ロリナイティス)|
|Alternate Spellings||(given name) Tolys, Thoris, Taurys |
(surname) Lorinaitis, Rolinitis
|Eye Color||Green (manga, Beautiful World anime)|
Blue (Axis Powers and World Series anime)
|Strip||Chapter 4: Pact of Steel|
|Drama CD||Hetalia Drama CD: Prologue|
|Anime||Episode 01 (cameo)|
Episode 17 (speaking)
Otsu Kou (Flower Of Iris)
Lithuania (リトアニア Ritoania) is a supporting character in the series Hetalia: Axis Powers. Between 2007 and 2008, Himaruya gave out human names to some of the characters and he received the name Toris Laurinaitis (トーリス・ロリナイティス Tōrisu Rorinaitisu).
Lithuania is a plain-faced young man with shoulder-length brown hair and green eyes. In the Axis Powers Hetalia anime, they were colored blue, however their color was changed to green in Hetalia: The Beautiful World. He is tall and thin, but has a strong body. In his WWII appearances, he wears a green military uniform with tall boots (or simple shoes, depending on the reference image). Lithuania sometimes wears his hair tied back into a ponytail, such as when he worked as a housekeeper or when he was younger.
In the strip While You Were Gone, Lithuania is shown to have deep scars covering his back.
Personality and Interests
The eldest of the three Baltics, Lithuania controlled Middle and Eastern Europe during the Middle Ages, and was a formidable knight that once beat Prussia, until he was taken by Russia. Though he managed to get away for a time, he always wound up back under Russia's control. After the Soviet Union fell, he fully regained his independence and went to rehabilitate with Poland.
He is extremely serious, even more serious than Germany, and worse at understanding jokes. He is a bit of an introvert and easy to take advantage of. He also tends to depress himself so much that he gets a stomachache, and generally has a weak stomach. Despite all this, Lithuania is described as being the relatively most cheerful of the Baltics, and the type of person who will welcome one into his heart once he knows the person. He tries to be a big brother figure and enjoys looking after others. However, it may be his kindness and concern for others that causes him so much distress.
Before the Polish-Swedish wars were to begin, Finland notes that though Lithuania is usually so kind, and looks like he couldn't hurt a fly, his face in battle changes. He shows exceptional leadership skills towards his soldiers, and his abilities in making strategies is extraordinary. By feigning a retreat at the beginning, he outsmarted Prussia and dived in just in time to save Poland. 
In a rare strip, it is shown that the other two Baltics think highly of him, but resent that he ignores them in favor of spending time with Poland. In the character identification chart, it was said that there's no mistaking him if Russia or Poland are pushing him around.
Main Article: America
After becoming poor from the fallout of WWI, Lithuania lived with America for a brief period of time and worked for him as his housekeeper. He proclaimed it was 'heaven' and was fond of America. He was well received by America's whale friend and Tony, who often beamed him up into his spaceship out of jealousy when Lithuania paid attention to the whale.
After the Great Depression hit and poverty spread throughout the nations, Lithuania had to return to Russia. In a more present-day strip, Lithuania returned to America's house to celebrate his birthday.
Main Article: Belarus
Lithuania holds a crush on Russia's younger sister since childhood though it isn't returned, for she only has eyes for her brother and harbors hatred for Lithuania. In a discarded strip, it was said that she'd been doing things such as breaking his fingers since they were children, however as it was discarded and a proper one released (though, deleted later) it's likely this has been removed. Furthermore, another blog post referred to them as something of childhood friends. When he finally succeeded in going on a date with her for three minutes, it ended with her breaking all of his fingers though he continued to remain oblivious to her harsh nature and simply stated that his fingers were broken because he could bend them like that.
A strip implied that Belarus hates him because her brother favors him. It's implied that Belarus' hatred for him comes from the real-life history fact between the two countries from Lithuania's annexation of Belarus and due to this, she was separated from her brother for a long time, during the Grand Duchy of Lithuania era.
Curiously in the Halloween 2011 event, she seem to be more civil with him and he is shown to be shocked to see her badmouthing Denmark.
Main Article: Poland
The two have been rather close friends. They were partners in the days of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth, before Russia split them apart and took Lithuania under his control. When Lithuania is under the rule of Russia he is nostalgic for the days of his union with Poland, but Poland can be so selfish, controlling and bizarrely-behaved that Lithuania feels dragged around and can become extremely frustrated with him. In the WWII storyline, despite being concerned about Poland's impending fate, Lithuania was shown have negative memories and even nightmares about when Poland has troubled him. But later, he has a dream where Poland tells him he loves him no matter what he thinks of him.
They managed to meet up again in While You Were Gone. Lithuania was surprised to learn that Poland, who is usually very shy, was good friends with Italy, and thinks "there's a side of Poland I don't know." Later, Poland attempted to play a prank on Lithuania with a water gun but wound up discovering the scars on his back, and in return he thinks "there's a side of Lithuania I don't know."
Poland refers to Lithuania as "Liet" (short for Lietuva, the Lithuanian word for Lithuania), and won't stand for him being bullied by Russia, as revealed in both versions of Meeting Of The World (yet to different extents in each version). In The Legend of the Iron Wolf strip, the two share stories about the creation of their capitals, although it can be questioned whether Poland heard Lithuania's story.
Main Article: Prussia
When they were children, Prussia (as Teutonic Knights) would bully Lithuania (who was Pagan at the time) into converting to Christianity, throwing arrows, rocks and acorns at him. They are further shown as enemies at the First Battle of Battle of Tannenberg, where Lithuania defeats Prussia and saves Poland from being killed by feigning a retreat and arriving back just in time. Lithuania also scolds Prussia's cowardly attack and lack of alertness and chivalry.
In World War II, Lithuania was hesitant to speak to Germany because Prussia had faced brutal defeats at the hands of him and Poland, but Germany did not seem to remember, to Lithuania's relief.
When Prussia is integrated with the Soviets, Lithuania admits to Prussia that he hates him, and does not like being honest with him. He then gives Prussia "advice" that Russia loves guys who cry and laugh easily.
Main Article: Russia
After the partitions of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth, Lithuania became Russia's subordinate. It is suggested that he was Russia's "favourite" of the Baltics, and so is often the target of Russia's bullying. It is heavily implied that the deep scars covering his back were inflicted by Russia because he was the main target of his harsh treatment; in Lithuania's flashback, he thinks of being forced into a maid outfit and approached by Russia holding a whip.
After WWI, Lithuania spent eleven years working at America's house. Russia visits at one point during Lithuania's outsourcing to tell America to take good care of him, because he is his "possession," said in a threatening manner. Once the Great Depression started, Lithuania had to return to Russia.
In the epilogue of Lithuania's Out-Sourcing, it's shown Russia was so upset about Lithuania temporarily leaving him that he overworked him to the point of passing out. Lithuania woke up on Russia's shoulder, horrified, but instead of retaliating cruelly, Russia was unusually calm and asked Lithuania what his dreams were. Lithuania shared that his dreams were to be free like when he was young, and then Russia smiled and confessed his dreams were to live in a warm place surrounded by sunflowers. Lithuania thought this was "strangely cute" and passed out on Russia again, but woke up panicking again just to find him replaced by a panda bear.
In modern times, Lithuania is shown as remaining nervous around Russia, whose approach towards him seems rather unchanged. It is said Lithuania is "dangerously exposed to Russia's gaze" and always worried about what he'll do next. Russia states at the Meeting of the World that he would like to see a troubled Lithuania coming back to him in tears, and he continues to stalk him.
A comic from Volume 3 of the manga shows that the two of them met as small children while Russia was under the Tatar's rule. Russia declared that he would be a large powerful country one day, and then they could be friends. Lithuania asked why they couldn't be friends right then, and Russia said they couldn't because he was much too weak, but he would try his hardest to become strong.
Lithuania first briefly appears at the meeting in Episode 01, as Russia states that he only wants to see him come running back to him with a troubled face.
He shows up later on in Episode 17: America's Cleaning Of The Storage, Part 1, which marks his first formal appearance in the anime and his first speaking part.
His character design was relatively unchanged in the anime adaptation, aside from his green eyes being changed to a shade of blue and his hair color lightened slightly. In The Beautiful World, the colors were corrected to match the manga's scheme.
- His birthday corresponds with the date of Lithuania's declaration of independence from Russia, on February 16th, 1918, but Lithuania would wind up occupied by both the Soviet Union and Nazi Germany in 1940, then reoccupied by Soviets in 1944. It would become the first Soviet republic to declare its renewed independence on March 11th, 1990, although no country would recognize Lithuania's independence for another year.
- Lithuania was stated to have been officially formed and unified in 1236. As a result, this is the year of Lithuania's birth.
- In a series continuity error, Lithuania is shown as a teenager (along with Poland) when fighting in the Battle of Grunwald, but later is shown to be a small child after the Italian Wars have taken place in Chibitalia, in a Comic Diary strip set during that time frame (and written at around the same time as the Grunwald strip).
- It should be noted that the United States of America never acknowledged Lithuania's incorporation into the Soviet Union, and so recognized Lithuanian independence even when Lithuania was not independent.
- Due to a translation error in Episode 1, the name above Lithuania's flag switched to "Latvia" when Poland stepped in front of him.
- In volume 4 Estonia stated that Lithuania was also an (inconsistent) member of the Academy Choral Club along with Ukraine, Latvia. He also states that the Academy's Soviet Union club is targeting them, however Russia confirms that the Soviet Union club has disbanded.
- Interestingly, it is stated that the average height in Lithuania is 185 cm. As most characters (bar characters too young to reach the average height) have a height near to that of the average in the country they represent, it is somewhat strange that Lithuania is actually drawn shorter than Russia. This may be because the average at the end of the nineteenth century was 163.5 cm and a rapid increase in height did not occur until the 20th century. Himaruya has acknowledged the height of the average Lithuanian, but commented that a lot of the reference was from basketball players, thus not typical.
- Himaruya, Hidekaz (May 2007). "(cache) 【ジョルジュ長岡を心の底から愛でまくるサイト】 キタユメ。 【まゆ毛がステキ】". Archived from the original on November 22, 2007. http://megalodon.jp/2007-1122-0436-47/www.geocities.jp/himaruya/5gatu.htm. Retrieved October 8, 2012.
- Himaruya, Hidekaz (October 2006). "(cache) 【ジョルジュ長岡を心の底から愛でまくるサイト】 キタユメ。 【まゆ毛がステキ】". Archived from the original on ???. http://horror-vacui.net/hetarchive/extra/cache2.htm. Retrieved September 18, 2012.
- Himaruya, Hidekaz (2008). ヘタリア Axis Powers [Hetalia: Axis Powers]. Gentosha. p. 85. ISBN 978-4-3448-1275-8.
- Himaruya, Hidekaz (June 12, 2008). "瞳と髪の毛の色ｍａｔｏｍｅ [Eye and Hair Color ｓｕｍｍａｒｙ]". http://himaruya.blog61.fc2.com/blog-entry-105.html. Retrieved February 23, 2014.
- Himaruya, Hidekaz (November 8, 2013). "リクエスト31 [Request 31]". http://himaruya.blog61.fc2.com/blog-entry-1476.html. Retrieved February 24, 2014.
- Himaruya, Hidekaz (2010). ヘタリア Axis Powers 3 [Hetalia: Axis Powers 3]. Gentosha. p. 114. ISBN 978-4-3448-1938-2.
- Himaruya, Hidekaz (2008). Axis Powers ヘタリア 2 特装版 [Axis Powers Hetalia 2 Specially Equipped Edition]. Gentosha. p. 15. ISBN 978-4-344-81535-3.
- Himaruya, Hidekaz (2006-2007). "*ヘタレ５ Lietuvis!!* [Hetare 5: Lietuvis!!]". http://www.geocities.jp/himaruya/lie4.htm. Retrieved February 24, 2014.
- Himaruya, Hidekaz (May 18, 2011). "味のグレゴリウス改革やぁ！". http://himaruya.blog61.fc2.com/blog-entry-1150.html. Retrieved February 24, 2014.
- Himaruya, Hidekaz. "「倉庫掃除」 [Cleaning Out the Storage]". http://www.geocities.jp/himaruya/rrl.htm. Retrieved February 24, 2014.
- Himaruya, Hidekaz (2007). "「ポーランドリトアニア いない間」 [While You Were Gone]". http://www.geocities.jp/himaruya/rpi.htm. Retrieved February 24, 2014.
- Himaruya, Hidekaz (2008). ヘタリア Axis Powers 2 [Hetalia: Axis Powers 2]. Gentosha. p. 17. ISBN 978-4-3448-1514-8.
- Himaruya, Hidekaz (2013). ヘタリア Axis Powers 6 [Hetalia: Axis Powers 6]. Gentosha. p. 13. ISBN 978-4-344-82867-4.
- Himaruya, Hidekaz (2006-2007). "*ヘタレ４ 鋼鉄協約* [Hetare 4: Pact of Steel]". http://www.geocities.jp/himaruya/h_h3.htm. Retrieved February 24, 2014.
- Himaruya, Hidekaz (2010). ヘタリア Axis Powers 3 [Hetalia: Axis Powers 3]. Gentosha. p. 107-110. ISBN 978-4-3448-1938-2.
- Himaruya, Hidekaz. "ソビイズ [Soviets]". http://www.geocities.jp/himaruya/soviys.html. Retrieved February 24, 2014.
- Himaruya, Hidekaz (April 16, 2009). "見分け表完成！ [Character Distinction]". http://himaruya.blog61.fc2.com/blog-entry-535.html. Retrieved February 23, 2014.
- Himaruya, Hidekaz (October 19, 2008). "没ったコマUP [Discarded Frames UP]". http://himaruya.blog61.fc2.com/blog-entry-361.html. Retrieved November 17, 2010.
- Himaruya, Hidekaz (October 11, 2013). "リトアニアさんの冷静な事務処理 [Lithuania's Calm Paper Work]". http://himaruya.blog61.fc2.com/blog-entry-1411.html. Retrieved February 24, 2014.
- Himaruya, Hidekaz (2010). ヘタリア Axis Powers 3 [Hetalia: Axis Powers 3]. Gentosha. p. 88-90. ISBN 978-4-3448-1938-2.
|Hetalia: Axis Powers Characters|
|Main Characters||Italy · Germany · Japan · America · England · France · Russia · China|
|Supporting Characters||Ancient Rome · Australia · Austria · Belarus · Belgium · Bulgaria · Cameroon · Canada · Cuba · Cyprus · Denmark · Egypt · Estonia · Finland · Germania · Greece · Holy Roman Empire · Hong Kong · Hungary · Hutt River · Iceland · India · Korea · Kugelmugel · Ladonia · Latvia · Liechtenstein · Lithuania · Macau · Moldova · Molossia · Monaco · Netherlands · New Zealand · Nikoniko · Norway · Osaka · Picardy · Poland · Prussia · Romania · Sealand · Seborga · Seychelles · South Italy · Spain · Sweden · Switzerland · Taiwan · Thailand · Turkey · Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus · Ukraine · Vietnam · Wy|
|See also||Minor Characters · Historical Characters · Feudal Domains and Prefectures · Animals and Other Creatures · Nekotalia · Nyotalia · Mochitalia · Human names · Another color|
|Full Character List|