|Name||Republic Of Lithuania (Lietuvos Respublika)|
|Human Name||Toris Laurinaitis (トーリス・ロリナイティス)|
|Alternate Spellings||(given name) Tolys, Thoris, Taurys |
(surname) Lorinaitis, Rolinitis
|Eye Color||Green (manga, Beautiful World anime)|
Blue (Axis Powers and World Series anime)
|Strip||Chapter 4: Pact of Steel|
|Drama CD||Hetalia Drama CD: Prologue|
|Anime||Episode 01 (cameo)|
Episode 17 (speaking)
Otsu Kou (Flower Of Iris)
Lithuania (リトアニア Ritoania) is a supporting character in the series Hetalia: Axis Powers. Between 2007 and 2008, Himaruya gave out human names to some of the characters and he received the name Toris Laurinaitis (トーリス・ロリナイティス Tōrisu Rorinaitisu).
Lithuania is a tall, thin, plain-faced young man with shoulder-length brown hair and green eyes. In the Axis Powers Hetalia anime, they were colored blue, however their color was changed to green in Hetalia: The Beautiful World. In his WWII appearances, he wears a green military uniform with tall boots (or simple shoes, depending on the reference image). Lithuania sometimes wears his hair tied back into a ponytail, such as when he worked as a housekeeper or when he was younger.
In the strip While You Were Gone, Lithuania is shown to have deep scars covering his back.
Personality and Interests
The eldest of the three Baltics, Lithuania controlled Middle and Eastern Europe during the Middle Ages, and was a formidable nation that once beat Prussia, until he was taken by Russia. Though he managed to get away for a time, he always wound up back under Russia's control. After the Soviet Union fell, he fully regained his independence and went to rehabilitate with Poland.
He is a bit of an introvert, easy to take advantage of, and the type of person who will welcome one into his heart once he knows the person. He also tends to depress himself so much that he gets a stomachache, and generally has a weak stomach. He is said to be even more serious than Germany, and tries to be a big brother figure. Lithuania is also said to be interested in martial arts and literature, and drives a second-hand car.
In a rare strip, it is shown that the other two Baltics think highly of him, but resent that he ignores them in favor of spending time with Poland. In the character identification chart, it was said that there's no mistaking him if Russia or Poland are pushing him around.
In Episode 97, it is shown that Lithuania is good at chess and making strategies.
Main Article: America
After becoming poor from the fallout of WWI, Lithuania lived with America for a brief period of time and worked for him as his housekeeper. He proclaimed it was 'heaven' and was fond of America. He was well received by America's whale friend and Tony, who often beamed him up into his spaceship out of jealousy when Lithuania paid attention to the whale.
After the Great Depression hit and poverty spread throughout the nations, Lithuania had to return to Russia. In a more present-day strip, Lithuania returned to America's house to celebrate his birthday.
Main Article: Belarus
Lithuania holds a crush on Russia's younger sister since childhood though it isn't returned, for she only has eyes for her brother and harbors hatred for Lithuania. In a discarded strip, it was said that she'd been doing things such as breaking his fingers since they were children, however as it was discarded and a proper one released (though, deleted later) it's likely this has been removed. Furthermore, a newer blog post referred to them as something of childhood friends. When he finally succeeded in going on a date with her for three minutes, it ended with her breaking all of his fingers though he continued to remain oblivious to her harsh nature and simply stated that his fingers were broken because he could bend them like that.
A strip implied that Belarus hates him because her brother favors him. It's implied that Belarus' hatred for him comes from the real-life history fact between the two countries from Lithuania's annexation of Belarus and due to this, she was separated from her brother for a long time, during the Grand Duchy of Lithuania era.
Curiously in the Halloween 2011 event, she seem to be more civil with him and he is shown to be shocked to see her badmouthing Denmark.
Main Article: Poland
The two have been rather "close friends," though Poland can be self-centered (as shown in the earlier strips where their relationship seemed to be more one-sided). However, their relationship has become less one-sided than it was in initial strips. They were partners in the days of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth, before Russia split them apart and took Lithuania under his control. When they managed to meet up again, Poland attempted to play a prank on Lithuania with a water gun but wound up discovering the scars on his back.
Poland refers to Lithuania as "Liet" (short for Lietuva, the Lithuanian word for Lithuania), and won't stand for him being bullied by Russia, as revealed in both versions of Meeting Of The World (yet to different extents in each version). In The Legend of the Iron Wolf strip, the two share stories about the creation of their capitals, although it can be questioned whether Poland heard Lithuania's story.
Main Article: Prussia
When they were children, Prussia (as Teutonic Knights) would bully Lithuania into converting to Christianity. They are further shown as enemies in a battle in The Ruler of Scandinavia and The King of Eastern Europe, where Lithuania defeats Prussia and saves Poland by feigning a retreat.
When Prussia is integrated with the Soviets, Lithuania tells Prussia he hates him, but gives him "advice" that Russia loves guys who cry and laugh easily.
Main Article: Russia
After the partitions of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth, Lithuania became Russia's subordinate. It is suggested that he was Russia's "favourite" and so is often the target of Russia's bullying. After gaining independence in 1918 Lithuania spent eleven years working at America's house, but had to return to Russia after the Great Depression.
Russia visits at one point during Lithuania's outsourcing to tell America to take good care of him because "He is my ex, after all."
In modern times, Lithuania is shown as sometimes being nervous around Russia, whose approach towards him seems rather unchanged. It is often speculated that the deep scars covering his back were inflicted by Russia because he was the main target of his harsh treatment. Russia once confided to Lithuania that his dream was to be in a warm place surrounded by sunflowers.
A comic from Volume 3 of the manga shows that the two of them met as small children while Russia was under the Tatar's rule. Russia immediately declared Lithuania his friend, much to his confusion.
Lithuania first briefly appears at the meeting in Episode 01, as Russia states that he only wants to see him come running back to him with a troubled face.
He shows up later on in Episode 17: America's Cleaning Of The Storage, Part 1, which marks his first formal appearance in the anime and his first speaking part.
His character design was relatively unchanged in the anime adaptation, aside from his green eyes being changed to a shade of blue and his hair color lightened slightly.
- His birthday corresponds with the date of Lithuania's declaration of independence from Russia, on February 16th, 1918, but Lithuania would wind up occupied by both the Soviet Union and Nazi Germany in 1940, then reoccupied by Soviets in 1944. It would become the first Soviet republic to declare its renewed independence on March 11th, 1990, although no country would recognize Lithuania's independence for another year.
- Lithuania was stated to have been officially formed and unified in 1236. As a result, this is the year of Lithuania's birth.
- In a series continuity error, Lithuania is shown as a teenager (along with Poland) when fighting in the Battle of Grunwald, but later is shown to be a small child after the Italian Wars have taken place in Chibitalia, in a Comic Diary strip set during that time frame (and written at around the same time as the Grunwald strip).
- It should be noted that the United States of America never acknowledged Lithuania's incorporation into the Soviet Union, and so recognized Lithuanian independence even when Lithuania was not independent.
- Due to a translation error in Episode 1, the name above Lithuania's flag switched to "Latvia" when Poland stepped in front of him.
- In volume 4 Estonia stated that Lithuania was also an (inconsistent) member of the Academy Choral Club along with Ukraine, Latvia. He also states that the Academy's Soviet Union club is targeting them, however Russia confirms that the Soviet Union club has disbanded.
- Interestingly, it is stated that the average height in Lithuania is 185 cm. As most characters (bar characters too young to reach the average height) have a height near to that of the average in the country they represent, it is somewhat strange that Lithuania is actually drawn shorter than Russia. This may be because the average at the end of the nineteenth century was 163.5 cm and a rapid increase in height did not occur until the 20th century. Himaruya has acknowledged the height of the average Lithuanian, but commented that a lot of the reference was from basketball players, thus not typical.
- Himaruya, Hidekaz (May 2007). "(cache) 【ジョルジュ長岡を心の底から愛でまくるサイト】 キタユメ。 【まゆ毛がステキ】". Archived from the original on November 22, 2007. http://megalodon.jp/2007-1122-0436-47/www.geocities.jp/himaruya/5gatu.htm. Retrieved October 8, 2012.
- Himaruya, Hidekaz (October 2006). "(cache) 【ジョルジュ長岡を心の底から愛でまくるサイト】 キタユメ。 【まゆ毛がステキ】". Archived from the original on ???. http://horror-vacui.net/hetarchive/extra/cache2.htm. Retrieved September 18, 2012.
- Himaruya, Hidekaz (2008). ヘタリア Axis Powers [Hetalia: Axis Powers]. Gentosha. p. 85. ISBN 978-4-3448-1275-8.
- Himaruya, Hidekaz (October 19, 2008). "没ったコマUP [Discarded Frames UP]". http://himaruya.blog61.fc2.com/blog-entry-361.html. Retrieved November 17, 2010.
|Hetalia: Axis Powers Characters|
|Main Characters||Italy · Germany · Japan · America · England · France · Russia · China|
|Supporting Characters||Ancient Rome · Australia · Austria · Belarus · Belgium · Bulgaria · Cameroon · Canada · Cuba · Cyprus · Denmark · Egypt · Estonia · Finland · Germania · Greece · Holy Roman Empire · Hong Kong · Hungary · Hutt River · Iceland · India · Korea · Kugelmugel · Ladonia · Latvia · Liechtenstein · Lithuania · Macau · Moldova · Molossia · Monaco · Netherlands · New Zealand · Nikoniko · Norway · Osaka · Picardy · Poland · Prussia · Romania · Sealand · Seborga · Seychelles · South Italy · Spain · Sweden · Switzerland · Taiwan · Thailand · Turkey · Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus · Ukraine · Vietnam · Wy|
|See also||Minor Characters · Historical Characters · Feudal Domains and Prefectures · Animals and Other Creatures · Nekotalia · Nyotalia · Mochitalia · Human names · Another color|
|Full Character List|