Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus
- This article is about the character representing the de facto state on the northern part of the island. For the character representing the Republic of Cyprus, see Cyprus.
| Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus|
|Name||Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus (Kuzey Kıbrıs Türk Cumhuriyeti)|
|Strip||The Principality of Wy & the Mysterious Sealand (cameo)|
Halloween 2013 (debut)
|Drama CD||Axis Powers Hetalia: The CD|
|Japanese||Hina Minami (Flower of Iris)|
Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus (北キプロス・トルコ共和国, Kita Kipurosu Toruko Kyōwakoku), sometimes referred to as TRNC or Northern Cyprus (北キプロス Kita Kipurosu), is a supporting character in the series Hetalia: Axis Powers.
A Mediterranean character, he appears to be a small child and is the younger brother of Cyprus, though his clothing imitates Turkey. His only color appearance to date is in the Hetalia Trading Card game, where he is depicted with olive skin and brown eyes. In Axis Powers Hetalia: The CD, it is mentioned that TRNC can't grow up due to not being recognized as a country by anyone except for Turkey.
Personality and Interests
TRNC speaks in a monotone voice and is noticeably more stern and quiet than his older brother. His style of dress imitates Turkey, the only one that will recognize him as a legitimate nation. Despite this, he is proud of being recognized by Turkey and is a rival of sorts to Sealand because of this, as Sealand is not recognized as a nation by anyone but himself.
In the drama CD, he proposes the idea of reunification to Cyprus, but both are interrupted by another one of Greece and Turkey's fights before there can be a definitive answer. Despite Cyprus's close relationship with Greece, TRNC tries to convince him that Turkey is nice. Though he remains very reliant on Turkey, he has acquired skills in business.
Main Article: Cyprus
The immediate relationship of the two Cypriot brothers is not thoroughly explored. While Greece is antagonistic to TRNC in the audio drama, Cyprus does not partake in these interactions. In turn, TRNC openly dislikes Greece's ideals and beliefs, but does not direct hostility toward Cyprus. That Cyprus wishes Turkey and Greece to get along may suggest that Cyprus and TRNC harbor no hatred for one another.
Main Article: Greece
Greece openly hates TRNC, and threatens to disown Cyprus unless he cuts off all communications with him. Likewise, TRNC dislikes Greece for getting into fights with Turkey, and will often try to aid Turkey against him.
Main Article: Sealand
Sealand attempts to make friends with TRNC and claims they are both micronations, but TRNC reminds Sealand that while he is recognized by Turkey, Sealand is recognized by no one. Sealand begins to cry, and he later attacks TRNC in a fit of rage, causing a fight between Greece and Turkey to reignite nearby.
Main Article: Turkey
Turkey is the only country to recognize TRNC as a country, and TRNC admires him as a result. TRNC calls Turkey "gentle" and won't forgive those who are unkind to him. Whenever Greece and Turkey get into a fight, TRNC wants nothing more than to help Turkey.
TRNC's design was first revealed in the Hetalia trading card game. Since then, he has appeared once on Himaruya's blog, watching the micronations from afar, and in a small sketch with the volume 4 online extras. Himaruya thought about including TRNC and Cyprus in the Halloween 2011 event, but opted against it, as both were male and the remaining spot in Turkey's group was for a princess. TRNC made a small cameo and his first panel debut during the Christmas 2011 event, watching Greece and Turkey as they fight over coffee. He makes his formal debut within the Halloween 2013 event, dressed as a ghost and accompanying Turkey to the nations' party.
TRNC first appeared in the independent drama CD Axis Powers Hetalia: The CD. In The Flag of Cyprus segment, he and Turkey approach Cyprus about coming to live with him, in hopes that it might cause TRNC to grow. Greece vehemently disagrees with Cyprus communicating with TRNC. The track ends with Cyprus and TRNC never coming to a resolution after Greece, Turkey, TRNC, and Sealand all break out into fights.
- Despite being compared with Sealand, TRNC is a de facto state, not a micronation.
- TRNC follows the pattern established by characters such as Hong Kong, Taiwan, and Cyprus as his appearance in a drama CD predates any manga or anime appearances.
- In fandom, TRNC is often misidentified as Cyprus itself, as Cyprus had yet to receive a character design prior to the release of volume 4. Also in fandom, it's common to find TRNC misidentified as Egypt as their character designs appear to look vaguely similar to some fans.
- TRNC made his very first comic panel debut in one of the four-panel comics (concerning coffee) released during the 2011 Christmas event. However his sketch in the last frame was so small and crushed off to the right side, it is debatable whether or not this appearance counts as a panel debut.
- Contrary to fan speculation, both Cyprus and TRNC do not share the unique hair curl of Greece and Turkey. This could be due to the island's historical exposure to the other cultural influences of neighboring countries, such as Egypt.
- Himaruya, Hidekaz. "まとめ [Summary]". http://himaruya.blog61.fc2.com/blog-entry-1500.html. Retrieved November 12, 2013.
- Himaruya, Hidekaz. ""クリスマス 2011 その8 [Christmas 2011 Pg 8]". http://www.geocities.jp/himaruya/2011_12_8.html. Retrieved November 30, 2013.
- Himaruya, Hidekaz. "ハロウィーン漫画 その5 [Halloween 2013 Page 5]". http://www.geocities.jp/himaruya/2013hal_5.html. Retrieved November 30, 2013.