|Name||The Principality of Sealand|
|Human Name||Peter Kirkland (ピーター・カークランド, Pītā Kākurando)|
|Eye Color||Green (early illustration), Blue|
|Height||130 cm (4' 3.2")|
|Volume||Hetalia: Axis Powers Volume 1|
|Drama CD||Axis Powers Hetalia: The CD|
Kanae Kasuga (Flower Of Iris)
Sealand (シーランド, Shīrando) is a supporting character in the series Hetalia: Axis Powers. In 2008, Himaruya gave human names to some of the characters and he received the name Peter Kirkland (ピーター・カークランド, Pītā Kākurando).
He has blond hair, blue eyes, and thick eyebrows much like England's. He wears a white sailor shirt with a blue collar, a blue neck tie, a matching hat, and blue capri pants, as well as white knee-high socks and black Mary Jane shoes.
Originally, Sealand's eyebrows were drawn somewhat thinner, while his sailor necktie lacked its "tails", and he wore shorts instead of capris. His eyes were also originally colored green, giving him a further resemblance to a younger England.
In the game Noto-sama 6, his hair is colored a dark sandy blond, while his eyes are sea green.
Personality and Interests
Due to the fact that he isn't considered an actual nation, none of the others take him very seriously. However, Sealand is a rascal who believes that someday he will become a huge empire that even his brother will bow down to.
Like his fort, he is actually made of steel and concrete and can fire a "Rocket Punch" that he believes is super powerful (though he can only do so when dressed up in a kids' mecha costume). He also tends to end his sentences with "desu yo", which is meant to give him a very enthusiastic flair.
According to the Hetalia Desktop Buddies his hobbies include games and "comfortable internets" and training to be approved as a nation in the future. He has a pet "hamster." However, he said it was 130cm long, to which Latvia said it wasn't, as 130 cm is abnormally large for a hamster. Latvia claimed to wake up with a strange creature in his bed one day, which Sealand said was his pet, presumably the "hamster." Latvia said he'd never seen anything of the sort in an encyclopedia. He has also shown interest in Broadway musicals, saying that he wanted to see one in New York one day. He claims to find historical facts boring; however, he's asked or mentioned plenty in the Mascots, such as wanting to befriend Friedrich III, singing a song about Rudolph I, and recalling that Austria once fought on a crumbling ship. He also shows interest in movies and mentioned wanting to travel the world. He finds Spongebob to be cute and seems to admire him, saying he wanted to become him.
Main Article: England
Sealand declared himself an independent country when England didn't want the oil platform that Sealand claims as his territory back after the end of the war. The two always bicker because Sealand, who wants to be recognized as a nation, often sneaks into conferences the other countries attend (such as the G8, when Sealand pretended to be Canada). Despite calling his brother "Jerk England" and promising that the older nation will bow to him someday, Sealand relies on England, although he doesn't admit it.
Main Article: Iceland
Upon learning that Iceland was auctioning himself on eBay, Sealand suggested that they are in similar circumstances. He proposed that they be friends and that Iceland treat him as a superior. Iceland, however, did not understand what Sealand meant, which upset the micronation.
Main Article: Latvia
The two are good friends, in part due to their similarities of being small nations that don't get the respect that they want (though Latvia is actually recognized as a nation in comparison to Sealand being a micronation). However, while Latvia attempts to act as a big brother to Sealand, his own insecurities get in the way, most notably his fear of Russia.
Main Article: Seborga
Sealand was initially frightened by Seborga when they met in Wy's garden after Seborga fell out of a tree covered in ketchup. After attacking him, Sealand seems to get over this fear and they appear to become friendly. It is implied that Seborga is the only other member of Sealand's micronation club until Wy finally decides to officially join out of boredom. Despite the physical age gap, they share a similar enthusiasm for making new friends who are also micronations, and Sealand commends his eagerness to recruit new members into their club.
Main Article: Sweden
After being auctioned off online, Sealand became his property and adoptive child (as Sweden was the only one that bid). The two appear to have a close relationship, though Sweden came up with the strange idea of a "Dambolis" in an attempt to make the TV-obsessed Sealand pay attention to him more.
Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus
Main Article: Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus
Sealand attempts to make friends with TRNC and points out that they are both in similar situations, but TRNC blows him off and points out that while he is recognized by Turkey, Sealand is recognized by no one. Sealand begins to cry, and he later attacks TRNC in a fit of rage. After Sealand becomes friends with Wy and Seborga, TRNC is seen watching them from a distance as the three began talking about football (soccer).
Main Article: Wy
Sealand has tried to make friends with the Australian micronation of Wy, based on perceived similarities. Wy quickly pointed out that unlike Sealand, she is recognized, as Wy's declaration of independence was accepted by the mayor of the surrounding township in 2004. Despite this, the two appear to become friends.
Sealand first appears in Episode 21, which adapts It's Sealand-kun! (reprinted as Recommend! Sealand! in Hetalia: Axis Powers volume 1). He attempts to attend a world meeting with the other nations, though his presence winds up going ignored. Sealand manages to get Lithuania to notice him, and is given advice on how to become an actual nation (though Lithuania just tells Sealand that it is too hard for someone the size of Sealand to ever become a nation).
In the anime, his eyebrows are drawn thinner and his earlier character design is used, with the exception of his eyes being colored blue (as in his later design). In The Beautiful World, his design remains unchanged, aside from the use of a darker blue on his uniform to match current artwork.
- His birthday corresponds to the date of Sealand's founding, on September 2nd, 1967.
- The plotline of Sealand's adoption was loosely based on a real-life occurrence when the actual Sealand was being put up for auction on Ebay. The Pirate Bay, a Swedish BitTorrent website, considered buying Sealand, but did not end up purchasing it after all.
- Sealand has a fondness for chocolate bars, and likes to browse the internet and play games as a hobby, as revealed by the "desktop mascots" from the official blog.
- His version of Marukaite Chikuyuu was released on a special CD offered to fans who purchased all eight DVD releases of the first two seasons.
- Himaruya, Hidekaz (March 25, 2008). "ナンタケットの小さなおうち". Archived from the original on June 8, 2013. http://bamboothicket2.livejournal.com/223961.html. Retrieved June 13, 2013.
- Himaruya, Hidekaz. "Character Notes". http://www.geocities.jp/himaruya/matome_heta.html. Retrieved September 14, 2012.
- Himaruya, Hidekaz (2008). ヘタリア Axis Powers 2 [Hetalia: Axis Powers 2]. Gentosha. p. 22. ISBN 978-4-3448-1514-8.
- Himaruya, Hidekaz. "Height chart from around 2008. (Deleted from Himaruya's blog)". http://i.imgur.com/hoUTq.gif. Retrieved June 22, 2012.
- Himaruya, Hidekaz. "シーランド君です！ [It's Sealand-kun!]". http://www.geocities.jp/himaruya/ea.html. Retrieved September 21, 2012.
- Himaruya, Hidekaz. "飛び越せ！カナダさん [Fly, Canada-san, fly!]". http://www.geocities.jp/himaruya/cnd.html. Retrieved September 21, 2012.
- Himaruya, Hidekaz (2008). "シーランドくんとアイスランドくんの出会い". http://www.geocities.jp/himaruya/sld.html. Retrieved September 21, 2012.
- Himaruya, Hidekaz. "ダンボリスの作り方まとめ [The Creation of Dambolis]". http://www.geocities.jp/himaruya/seakun.html. Retrieved February 8, 2012.