|Name||Hellenic Republic (Ελληνική Δημοκρατία)|
|Human Name||Heracles Karpusi (Ηρακλής Καρπούζης/ヘラクレス・カルプシ, Herakuresu Karupushi)|
|Alternate Spellings||Herakles, Hercules, Harekles Karpsh, Carpus, Karpouzi|
|Birthday||October 28 (original profile), February 3 (Volume 2 profile), March 25 (date of independence)|
|Eye Color||Teal (manga color chart), Green (later artwork and anime)|
|Strip||Meeting of the World|
|Game||Gakuen Hetalia Portable|
|Drama CD||Axis Powers Hetalia: The CD|
|Anime||Episode 01 (cameo)|
Episode 35 (speaking)
Kishô Taniyama (Hetalia Fantasia)
Arisa Nishiguchi (child)
Ciaou Sasaki (Flower Of Iris)
Greece (ギリシャ, Girisha) is a supporting character in the series Hetalia: Axis Powers. Between 2007 and early 2008, Himaruya gave human names to some of the characters and he received the name Heracles Karpusi (ヘラクレス・カルプシ, Herakuresu Karupushi).
Greece has brown hair, green eyes, and skin that is alternatively fair or olive depending on the artwork. He has a somewhat long nose and long eyebrows. On the top of his head, he has a double haircurl, a trait shared with Turkey, who instead has the curl on the side of his neck. He is as muscular as Germany. He wears a brown jacket, with brown pants and a white t-shirt. He occasionally wears a brown hat. In artwork, he is shown to carry a giant cross, which represents Mount Athos.
In a color chart for the characters by Himaruya, his eyes were shown to be teal. However, in all of the actual artwork for the manga, his eyes are colored green or gold.
Personality and Interests
He is said to have a serious personality, but he often seems carefree and casual. He is often seen with cats, a reference to Greece's stray cat population. He loves naps and is often seen sleeping, but even though it seems there is nothing in his head, he has a love for philosophy and history, and thinks about all sorts of things. It is said that if you dig in his backyard, you'll find many ancient ruins and things belonging to his mother, Ancient Greece.
It is also implied that he frequently takes part in sexual activity; this is shown in a contribution Himaruya made to a Hetalia doujinshi anthology where England and France try to place the "blame" of the creation of the condom on him, seeing as he uses it very often. He replies by saying that while he does do these "activities" often, he doesn't really use condoms.
Main Article: Japan
The two get along pretty well, due to their countries' good relationship (see Greece–Japan relations), and also share a love of cats. It's strongly implied that they once slept together during Greece's first visit to Japan (where they discussed the results of a sex frequency poll, Greece being the highest and Japan the lowest), but Japan denies it, believing that "It was a dream!".
Main Article: Turkey
Turkey took Greece under his control after having caused the fall of Constantinople and the Byzantine Empire. Greece remained under Ottoman control until the 19th century, when he became involved in a war to regain his independence and won. The two of them are unable to get along in the same environment without a fight of some sort, even after declaring a cease-fire, and will fight over even the most petty things. Turkey built a shopping mall near Greece's border for his usage in spite of their rivalry, and Greece said he would go shopping in Turkey if he happened to be near their border. In a Christmas 2011 strip they seemed to enjoy each others company in the past when Turkey began telling stories to young Greece and Egypt. It was noted that they both share the same trait of being unable to help but stop what they're doing and dance whenever they hear music.
Greece has admitted that he's tried to get along with Turkey, but he always ends up using his "Hellas punch" on him. When asked if he could remember a time they did something fun together, he remembered when Turkey began to "bully" him in a bathhouse, though everything he did was positive (turning up the sauna's heat; scratching the dirt off of his body; massaging and stretching to remedy his stiff bones; and washing him with a loofa) as opposed to harmful.
Main Article: Cyprus
Cyprus is close with Greece, and it is mentioned that he was raised by Greece's mother. As a result, Greece will get into fights with Turkey over matters involving TRNC, which annoys Cyprus, who encourages Greece to try and get along with Turkey.
Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus
Main Article: Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus
Greece openly despises TRNC, even threatening to disown Cyprus unless he stops communicating with Turkey. Comparatively, TRNC dislikes Greece's constant fights and struggles with Turkey, and aids Turkey in any conflicts with Greece.
Greece first appeared in Episode 01, where he was shown sleeping during the world meeting. He later shows up in Episode 14 at the supermarket, handing Spain his groceries and taking his time in doing so.
He previews after the credits of Episode 34 walking behind Canada with a cat hanging off the front of his shirt, before finally having a speaking role in Episode 35, conversing with France about the Olympics.
- , but was retconned to February 3rd by the time the published manga was released. His first retconned birthdate corresponds to the date that Greece's independence (from the Ottoman Empire) was officially recognized in the London Protocol, on February 3rd, 1830. Greece's 2010 profile states that March 25th is Greece's national day of independence, the day commemorating the Greek Revolution.
- An early draft for a Greece character shows him as a short-haired man with glasses. It first appeared on the Bamboo Thicket blog, though Himaruya left the identity of the nation for viewers to guess. The character was later outed as an early Greece in the special edition booklet that came with Hetalia: Axis Powers volume 3. Himaruya noted that the design was his perception of Greeks, but that it changed after he met a few Greek people.
- Himaruya, Hidekaz (May 2007). "(cache) 【ジョルジュ長岡を心の底から愛でまくるサイト】 キタユメ。 【まゆ毛がステキ】". Archived from the original on November 22, 2007. http://megalodon.jp/2007-1122-0436-47/www.geocities.jp/himaruya/5gatu.htm. Retrieved October 8, 2012.
- Himaruya, Hidekaz. "(Profiles) The Mediterranean". Archived from the original on June 2, 2008. http://hetalia.livejournal.com/2806.html. Retrieved October 12, 2012.
- Himaruya, Hidekaz (2008). ヘタリア Axis Powers 2 [Hetalia: Axis Powers 2]. Gentosha. p. 20. ISBN 978-4-3448-1514-8.
- Himaruya, Hidekaz (August 10, 2010). "2010 Mini Profile Cards". http://www.geocities.jp/himaruya/h_micro.html. Retrieved September 11, 2010.
- Himaruya, Hidekaz (2011). ヘタリア Axis Powers 4 [Axis Powers Hetalia 4]. Gentosha. p. 92. ISBN 978-4-3448-2233-7.
- Himaruya, Hidekaz (2011). ヘタリア Axis Powers 4 [Axis Powers Hetalia 4]. Gentosha. p. 93. ISBN 978-4-3448-2233-7.
|Hetalia: Axis Powers Characters|
|Main Characters||Italy · Germany · Japan · America · England · France · Russia · China|
|Supporting Characters||Ancient Rome · Australia · Austria · Belarus · Belgium · Bulgaria · Cameroon · Canada · Cuba · Cyprus · Denmark · Egypt · Estonia · Finland · Germania · Greece · Holy Roman Empire · Hong Kong · Hungary · Hutt River · Iceland · India · Korea · Kugelmugel · Ladonia · Latvia · Liechtenstein · Lithuania · Macau · Moldova · Molossia · Monaco · Netherlands · New Zealand · Nikoniko · Norway · Osaka · Picardy · Poland · Prussia · Romania · Sealand · Seborga · Seychelles · South Italy · Spain · Sweden · Switzerland · Taiwan · Thailand · Turkey · Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus · Ukraine · Vietnam · Wy|
|See also||Minor Characters · Historical Characters · Feudal Domains and Prefectures · Animals and Other Creatures · Nekotalia · Nyotalia · Mochitalia · Human names · Another color|
|Full Character List|