|Hair Color||Blonde (manga), Platinum Blonde (anime)|
|Volume||Hetalia: Axis Powers Volume 2|
|Strip||Russia's Older and Younger Sisters|
|Drama CD||Hetalia: Axis Powers Character CD Vol. 7- Russia|
Ukraine (ヨウクライン, ウクライナ, Ukuraina) is a supporting character in the series Hetalia: Axis Powers.
Ukraine is tall and curvy and has very large breasts, representing the nation's status as a major agricultural nation ("large tracts of land"). Like Russia, she has a round and youthful face. She has short blonde hair (which she keeps held back with a headband and hairclips), teal eyes, and wears a long-sleeved white blouse and blue overalls. She can also be seen carrying a pitchfork at times.
As a child, her hair was long and held in a plaited updo.
In a sketch by Hidekaz Himaruya, she is shown to wear a long brown coat, pants, boots, and hat as her military uniform.
Personality and Interests
Ukraine is the oldest of the three siblings, and is constantly getting dragged into some sort of mess. She is described by her brother as being very warm-hearted and motherly, having taken care of him and Belarus when they were little. She was the one who gave Russia his scarf, which he continues to wear today. Ukraine also shows maternal tendencies to other ex-Soviets, Poland, and to characters outside her family as well.
Russia also notes that she's a bit of a cry-baby and her heart is too big, making her an easy target. She desires to make friends in the West after her independence, but it appears she's struggling.
It is later stated in volume 3 notes and her volume 4 profile that despite her cry-baby appearance, she is also a 'fearsome' older sister and can stand her ground.
The Sealand and Latvia desktop mascot reveals that Ukraine is known for her surreal "guro" horror games.
Main Article: Belarus
Ukraine is Belarus' older sister. It's been shown that Belarus seems to scare Ukraine sometimes, however Ukraine is also noted to be worried about her. In their character song it's implied they have a rivalry over obtaining Russia's affections. However, she apologizes for being a "bewitching older sister", implying she'd like Belarus to be happy, too, even at the cost of losing Russia, although she seems to apologize over things she can't be blamed for, and this may also be a display of that. Belarus says that she should burn in an oven for standing between her and Russia, while Ukraine replies that they should, instead, bake bread in the oven and be together.
There are also implications that Belarus has strange feelings for Ukraine. In her appearance in the Sealand and Latvia desktop mascots, a possible entry of her diary she'll read for you involves her spending three hours massaging Ukraine's breasts or stretching her headband. It also contained an entry in which she went through her garbage bags. There was also an intimidating shadow resembling Belarus creeping up behind Ukraine when Italy tried flirting with her.
Hungary and Liechtenstein
The three of them seem to be good friends. In Volume 4's "A History of Interesting Clothes," they had a friendly chat about the dressing costumes in their countries. They even refer themselves using nicknames rather than their full names.
Main Article: Russia
Ukraine is Russia's older sister, and she acted as a mother to both him and Belarus when they were younger. They have a very complicated relationship. Russia finds her to be kind and steady, yet weak. After the fall of the Soviet Union, she is desperate to distance herself from Russia and make friends in the European Union. However, Ukraine still loves Russia and will try to provide resources to him, only to be blocked by her bosses or other issues between them, such as paying for oil. She gave Russia his most frequently worn scarf on a brutal and cold day, but then told him he had to make Kiev successful in return, which Russia found "cruel-minded."
Since her debut in volume 2, Ukraine had not appeared substantially until volume 4.
Ukraine makes her debut anime appearance in Episode 42, which adapts Russia's Big And Little Sisters from volume 2 of the published manga. In the episode, she is unable to come up with payment for gas due to her poverty situation, and is later forbidden from sharing milk with her brother by her boss because of the gas conflict. She wears a different hairstyle as a child in Episode 43
In the anime adaptation, her headband was changed to yellow while her hair became more of a platinum shade. Sound effects were also added to her movement for further elaboration on her large breast size.
- Ukraine's birthday corresponds with the date of its independence from the Soviet Union, August 24th (shortly before its complete dissolution in December 1991).
- She appears in a concept sketch for Gakuen Hetalia.
- Although her breast size is one of her notable characteristics, early draft sketches of Ukraine depicted her with a more average bust. In the special edition booklet included with Hetalia: Axis Powers volume 3, Himaruya stated that though she was always intended to be a crybaby, she was originally more unlucky and put-upon along with her chest being smaller.
- In a 2010 blog post, Himaruya stated her possible names to be Irunya Chernenko, Maria, and Sofia.
- In volume 4 it was revealed that Ukraine, along with the Baltics, is a member of the Academy Choral Club. She was the first to be offered an interview, but claiming to be not a very good speaker, she passed the interview to Estonia. In his interview he states that the Academy's Soviet Union club is targeting them, however Russia confirms that the Soviet Union club has disbanded.
- Himaruya, Hidekaz (2008). ヘタリア Axis Powers 2 [Hetalia: Axis Powers 2]. Gentosha. p. 18. ISBN 978-4-3448-1514-8.
- Himaruya Hidekaz. すっごい！シーランド君とラトビアちゃん (in Japanese). PC. (January 19, 2011)
- Himaruya, Hidekaz (November 26, 2010). "「Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs」でのイギリスいじりは異常" (in Japanese). http://himaruya.blog61.fc2.com/blog-entry-946.html. Retrieved February 8, 2012.