|Name||Portuguese Republic (República Portuguesa)|
|Volume||Hetalia: World☆Stars Volume 3|
|Strip||Halloween 2011 (cameo)|
Halloween 2013 (formal debut)
Portugal (ポルトガル, Porutogaru) is a supporting character in the series Hetalia: Axis Powers.
Portugal is depicted with somewhat curly, shaggy hair tied in a short ponytail, and green eyes. He is depicted in a white button-down shirt with a popped collar, a khaki jacket, and knee-high boots, wearing around his neck what appear to be aviator goggles. He also wears dark gloves and what seems to be a white belt or fanny pack, with dark brown and red-orange pants. His skin appears to be roughly the same shade as Spain's, as does his hair. Himaruya has stated that while Spain and Portugal have similar appearances, easy ways to tell them apart are Portugal's ponytail and the mole underneath his right eye. Additionaly, Himaruya draws Spain "as being pretty open with his emotions" while he's "conscious of his composed expressions" when drawing Portugal.
Personality and Interests
Portugal appears to be relatively cheerful, and is shown easily chatting with Spain (whom he has a turbulent history with). He is indicated to be rather unskillful when it comes to machinery.  He doesn't show much trepidation about eavesdropping on Spain's "important phone calls", and is known for his ennui and laid-back-ness. While he used to be one of the leading powers during the age of discovery, recently he's become more saudade and focused on domestic issues.
- Main Article: England
On Himaruya's blog it was revealed that England was the one who taught Portugal how to fight when battling Spain. They seem to cooperate well, and have the world's oldest living alliance with the Windsor Treaty. It is later explained that Portugal and England have a deep bond between them, and sometimes when England is being sweet and under certain conditions he offers Portugal his technological skills.
- Main Article: France
When discussing the differences between Portugal and Spain, France says that he would hide words with hidden meanings into the conversation, so Portugal would go home and grumble about it later. Portugal deems this an eloqent answer, though that night he grumbles about whether or not France was really up to something.
- Main Article: Japan
In Netherlands and Isolationist Japan, it is mentioned that Japan used to have exchange with Portugal, but he got kicked out because Japan felt that he could be dangerous. In a 2010 blog post, it is stated that Portugal is a country that has deep ties with Japan.
- Main Article: Macau
It is said that Macau and Portugal were friends long before Macau became Portugal's underling. Macau received his formal name from Portugal, "Macau Which Carries the Name of a Most Faithful God." It is stated that they have a strong connection and they joke around despite Macau's business-like manner with others. During the 15th and 16th century, Portugal and Macau made huge profits through trade in Asia, and Portugal dubbed them a "dream team." Macau shows concern for Portugal as he struggles during the Industrial Revolution, though Portugal blames himself for making things difficult for Macau. However, it is explained that Macau managed to adapt on his own, as Portugal is very laissez-faire.
It is stated in a 2011 blog post that Macau's relationship with Portugal is visible in his cuisine. During a conversation with Spain during the industrial revolution, Portugal brags that he still has Macau as an underling while Spain lost South Italy.
- Main Article: Netherlands
In the original text for a segment later included in the strip We Love England, it is mentioned that Netherlands and Portugal beat up Spain. They were also mentioned as having beaten up Spain in background text of Maria Theresa and the War of Austrian Succession. Portugal appears to interact with Netherlands in a friendly manner, even when they were both competing for trade in Asia. At one point when Netherlands shows up, Portugal says that its "just like him" as Netherlands is always following him around. Portugal asks him if he really likes him that much, and Netherlands tells him to stop "talking nonsense."
During the era of the Qing dynasty in China, Netherlands (as well as China) was an excellent merchant who, while blocking Portugal, leaped at every opportunity where he sensed profit. It is further explained in the Eighty-Third serialized chapter of World☆Stars that Netherlands threatened Portugal's position as a maritime trading partner in Asia, making pre-emptive moves and capturing his trading posts in places like Japan, China, and India. Netherlands later directly confronts Portugal and asks him for Macau, as he seeks to conquer the Asian trade.
- Main Article: South Italy
A small sketch of Romano is featured on a design sheet for one of the prototype female designs for Portugal. In Portugal's debut strip, a drunken Romano expresses annoyance at the nature of his relationship with Spain.
- Main Article: Spain
In the first mention of the character in November 2006, it is stated that they do not see eye to eye very much, drawing comparisons to the relationship between England and France. In the original text for a segment later included in the strip We Love England, it is mentioned that Spain got beaten up by the Netherlands and Portugal. They were also mentioned as having beaten up Spain in background text of Maria Theresa and the War of Austrian Succession. A small sketch of Spain is later featured on a design sheet for one of the prototype female designs for Portugal.
According to Romano, Spain acts really strange when he's around Portugal, complaining that he becomes meek and that he's "playing favorites." Portugal admits Spain acts this way because he knows so many foolish stories about him that Spain can't say no to him. While discussing their economies during the Industrial Revolution, Portugal criticizes Spain for his "bravado" despite both being in near-identical dire situations. He also states that enjoys seeing Spain, who was once very powerful, having sunk so low and it makes him feel good. They remark how different they are from each other despite being neighbors, and immediately afterwards can't be told apart by Seychelles. This is attributed to the fact that they share the same lineage.
Portugal first appears as an unnamed figure facing away from the reader at the end of the Halloween 2011 event, where it is revealed that he arrived for the party a day after it ended. He makes his formal debut at the very end of the Halloween 2013 event, appearing as Spain is leading a drunk Romano home and engaging in a conversation with them. He next appeared in World☆Stars Chapter 77, where he evesdrops on Spain's phone call with Romano about the Industrial Revolution. He criticizes what he sees as Spain's "bravado", and brags that while Spain lost Romano, he still has Macau as an underling.
- In response to a fan suggestion, Himaruya stated that a Kyoto dialect might fit the character, saying that it is probably the most popular amongst fans. Other possibilities he mentions include Kobe, which is a harbor city which suits that character and may be cute, as well as Hakata, which he states is the cutest when used by girls.
- Himaruya has stated in a 2010 blog post that, aside from Spain, he wants Portugal to interact with Italy and England.
- In 2010, Himaruya made a blog post about people he's met from other countries, and the entry about a man from Portugal was accompanied by a couple of concept sketches for what the character might look like. Due to a late fan translation and vague phrasing in the post itself, it was initially believed that the woman was actually, in fact, a finalized design for Portugal.
- Portugal had a lengthy development stage that involved several scrapped concept designs, both male and female. As far back as November 2006, Himaruya considered making the character female. After including a couple of vague sketches in a 2010 blog post, Himaruya posted a series of possible designs that included both male and female versions of the character, while citing that he's "never despaired about character design as much as [he does] with Portugal." A couple of days later he posted a series of sketch sheets with a set of potential designs, which included the first appearance of Macau. He said that he really has to do his best to create a good character, and will consider other things not present in the sketches. In October 2011, he stated that Portugal was still one of the most requested to receive a design. In November 2013, during that year's Halloween event, Himaruya posted a sketch somewhat resembling what would end up being the final design for the character, though it wasn't explicitly indicated to be Portugal.
- Himaruya, Hidekaz (November 19, 2014). "ようやくまとめた！！". http://himaruya.blog61.fc2.com/blog-entry-1604.html. Retrieved November 19, 2014.
- Himaruya, Hidekaz (February 13, 2015). "ロマーノさんと". http://himaruya.blog61.fc2.com/blog-entry-1698.html. Retrieved May 28, 2015.
- Himaruya, Hidekaz (November 17, 2014). "ポルトガルさんと２". http://himaruya.blog61.fc2.com/blog-entry-1600.html. Retrieved November 18, 2014.
- Himaruya, Hidekaz (March 20, 2015). "リクエスト系". http://himaruya.blog61.fc2.com/blog-entry-1732.html. Retrieved May 28, 2015.
- Himaruya, Hidekaz (June 22, 2015). "[77話]ヘタリア World☆Stars [Hetalia World Stars Chapter 77]". http://www.shonenjump.com/p/sp/hetalia/Oep99jOpqtCUekTI/index.html. Retrieved June 24, 2015.
- Himaruya, Hidekaz (November 25, 2014). "ポルトガルとイギリスと [Portugal and England and]". http://himaruya.blog61.fc2.com/blog-entry-1616.html. Retrieved December 18, 2014.
- Himaruya, Hidekaz (June 29, 2015). "[79話]ヘタリア World☆Stars [Hetalia World Stars Chapter 79]". http://www.shonenjump.com/p/sp/hetalia/Si1A228hXdrAA8aj/index.html. Retrieved July 13, 2015.
- Himaruya, Hidekaz. "オランダさんと鎖国ニッポン [Netherlands and Isolationist Japan]". http://www.geocities.jp/himaruya/skk.html. Retrieved February 5, 2014.
- Himaruya, Hidekaz (November 26, 2010). "「Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs」でのイギリスいじりは異常". http://himaruya.blog61.fc2.com/blog-entry-946.html. Retrieved September 30, 2014.
- Himaruya, Hidekaz (July 3, 2015). "[80話]ヘタリア World☆Stars [Hetalia World Stars Chapter 80]". http://www.shonenjump.com/p/sp/hetalia/iBNhPm0cImWt4rJQ/index.html. Retrieved July 13, 2015.
- Himaruya, Hidekaz. "４巻新キャラまとめ [Volume 4 New Characters Summary]". http://www.geocities.jp/himaruya/4kasin.html. Retrieved November 18, 2014.
- Himaruya, Hidekaz (July 13, 2015). "[83話]ヘタリア World☆Stars [Hetalia World Stars Chapter 83]". http://www.shonenjump.com/p/sp/hetalia/QcM3kNUNAtB2W9F6/index.html. Retrieved July 13, 2015.
- Himaruya, Hidekaz (July 10, 2011). "Untitled Bamboo Thicket 2 Blog Post 1208". http://himaruya.blog61.fc2.com/blog-entry-1208.html. Retrieved November 18, 2014.
- Himaruya, Hidekaz. "2007年4月 [April 2007]". http://hetarchive.net/scanlations/oldblog/2007-4gatu-jp.php. Retrieved February 5, 2014.
- Himaruya, Hidekaz. "マリア・テレジアとオーストリア継承戦争 [Maria Theresa and the War of Austrian Succession]". http://www.geocities.jp/himaruya/mrt.htm. Retrieved February 5, 2014.
- Himaruya, Hidekaz (July 29, 2011). "○○マンガ島". http://himaruya.blog61.fc2.com/blog-entry-1227.html. Retrieved November 18, 2014.
- Himaruya, Hidekaz (November 18, 2010). "らきがき". http://himaruya.blog61.fc2.com/blog-entry-939.html. Retrieved September 30, 2014.
- Himaruya, Hidekaz. "2006年11月 [November 2006]". http://hetarchive.net/scanlations/oldblog/2006-11gatu-jp.php. Retrieved November 24, 2013.
- Himaruya, Hidekaz (June 26, 2015). "[78話]ヘタリア World☆Stars [Hetalia World Stars Chapter 78]". http://www.shonenjump.com/p/sp/hetalia/3K8GWiLw6KmKtoHr/index.html. Retrieved July 13, 2015.
- Himaruya, Hidekaz (November 05, 2011). "ハロウィーンまとめ(5ページ目) [Halloween Summary (Page 5)]". http://www.geocities.jp/himaruya/hall20115.html. Retrieved November 18, 2014.
- Himaruya, Hidekaz (November 9, 2014). "おまけ１０". http://himaruya.blog61.fc2.com/blog-entry-1592.html. Retrieved November 18, 2014.
- Himaruya, Hidekaz (November 12, 2010). "画集絵描き描き". http://himaruya.blog61.fc2.com/blog-entry-935.html. Retrieved January 2, 2014.
- Himaruya, Hidekaz (November 16, 2010). "ポルトガルさんデザイン案". http://himaruya.blog61.fc2.com/blog-entry-938.html. Retrieved September 30, 2014.
- Himaruya, Hidekaz (October 3, 2011). "hare hare MABUSHIT". http://himaruya.blog61.fc2.com/blog-entry-1269.html. Retrieved November 18, 2014.
- Himaruya, Hidekaz (November 14, 2013). "リクエスト53". http://himaruya.blog61.fc2.com/blog-entry-1506.html. Retrieved November 18, 2014.