|Name||Republic of Cuba (República de Cuba)|
|Eye Color||Dark Amber|
|Volume||Hetalia: Axis Powers Volume 2|
|Strip||Fly, Mr. Canada, Fly!|
Cuba (キューバ, Kyūba) is a supporting character in the series Hetalia: Axis Powers.
Cuba appears as a a heavyset man with tan skin. He keeps his hair tied back in brown dreadlocks with a brown headband, and has some facial hair along his jawline. In color illustrations he is depicted with dark amber eyes. His military uniform consists of a green jacket with a belt at the waist and red insignia on the collar, with a white collared shirt underneath. The outfit also consists of sandals and olive green shorts, though the shorts are shown to be brown in at least one other illustration. Other times, Cuba often wears colorful shirts with floral or tropical designs on them.
Personality and Interests
Character notes describe Cuba as being a good natured, nice big brother with strong emotions that he is very faithful to. At heart, he is a cheerful and chivalrous man. At one point, when fearing for the safety of his friends, he conjures forth frightening and violent imagery when discussing what might have happened to them. He has a love for ice cream, and uses it to bond with Canada after mistaking him for America. However, the ice cream has recently caused him to have weight problems. He also enjoys dancing, in particular the rumba and salsa, as well as rum. He has a passion for sports. Cuba is often seen smoking a Cuban cigar, and is at one point depicted with boxes of Rum and Tobacco. In the Japanese manga and anime, he speaks with a Kawachi dialect.
Main article: America
Cuba does not get along with America; their relationship has failed to the point of "diplomatic discommunication". Though he has yet to interact with America in the series, he displays violent outbursts when he sees Canada and believes him to be America. One time when playing in the World Baseball Classic, Cuba gets a hold of the bat and states that he's going to go "beat America's ass" with it.
Main article: Canada
Canada and Cuba are shown to be close friends. Cuba initially mistook Canada for America and proceeded to yell at him. Cuba later apologized for this with ice cream, and invited Canada to visit him. During the visit, however, Cuba again mistook Canada for his brother. Despite often mistaking Canada for America, the two became friends. Cuba and Canada appear together in the Christmas 2010 event, in which Cuba calls Canada to warn him of the disappearance of several countries. He suggests that they stay together for safety, and Canada accepts. They proceed to take pictures of themselves, though it dawns on them that there is no point to it.
Main article: Spain
During the Christmas 2011 event, in response to a question about how Cuba and Spain interact, the two begin to have a normal exchange about it. Cuba clarifies that "we've been getting along with each other pretty well lately... no, very well. He's helped with a lot of things. So yeah, it is pretty normal."
Cuba first appeared during the Fly, Mr. Canada, Fly! strip series that focused on Canada and his diplomatic relations. Cuba mistook Canada for America and proceeded to act in a threatening manner. He later apologizes for the mistake and the two grow to be friends, though he once again mistakes Canada for America when he flies in for a visit. The strips containing Cuba were later included in the published volume 2, marking his debut in the published volumes. Cuba later appears in a few sketches, but doesn't appear again in a story until the 2009 April Fools' event. He tells Prussia that he has also set up a personal blog, and encourages him to eat the maple syrup that Canada had given him. During the Christmas 2010 event, he calls Canada to warn him about the sudden disappearances, and says that the remaining nations should get together. He also calls to warn Germany, but isn't fast enough to save Prussia from being abducted. When questioned by Germany, he reveals that he was also abducted but was saved when his boss was able to "bop him." Afterwards they ramp up security and he invites Germany and the others to come to his place to stay safe. However, he is perplexed to learn that they don't have the ability to instantly transport themselves like England sometimes appears to, and gets into an argument with Germany about it. Sometime after this Canada asks Cuba to take a picture with him, and they have a short photoshoot before realizing that it has no point. At the end of the event, he admits that he would've liked to see the parallel dimension where he was a cat.
Cuba next appeared in the Volume 4 strip Another Year at the WBC where, upon getting ahold of a bat, becomes fired up and decides to go beat America with it, which frightens Canada. In the Halloween 2011 event, he is in good spirits and wears bunny ears. During the Christmas 2011 event, he comes across Seychelles fainting and brings her inside. Afterwards, Cuba responds to a question and asks about an earlier incident involving Spain showing up in his underwear. He makes a cameo in the Mochi and Bunny Omake of the Halloween 2013 event, giving England and Poland a boat ride to where Mochi America is.
Cuba makes his debut anime appearance after the credits of Episode 35, voiced by Hiroki Takahashi. The scene adapts Cuba's initial appearance in Fly, Mr. Canada, Fly. He later appears in Episode 52, this time during the actual episode rather than after the credits. In his debut in episode 35, Cuba's hair was drawn to be worn in dreadlocks, but in episode 52, his hair is shown to be straight.
He also appears in the film Hetalia: Axis Powers: Paint it, White as one of the few countries not to be transformed by the Pict. He is featured in a news report showcasing him alongside Canada as they attempt to help humans who have only partially been converted into Pict.
Cuba also makes a brief appearance on the globe in the World Series' ending Hatafutte Parade.
- His birthday corresponds with Cuba's declaration of independence from the United States on May 20th, 1902.
- In the booklet included with the special edition of Hetalia: Axis Powers Volume 3, an early draft for Cuba is shown: Instead of being a larger and more masculine character, Himaruya had originally considered giving him a more youthful, "cuter" appearance. The younger Cuba design also lacked the dreadlocks and wore his hair short. The early Cuba was also said to be kinder, yet strong-willed.
- In a 2010 blog post, Himaruya listed his possible names as Máximo, Juan, Ericemdo, and Carlos Machado.
- During the 2011 Halloween and Christmas events, Cuba refers to Switzerland and Liechtenstein as "those who rarely show up" and "rare people," respectively.
- During the 2013 Halloween event, he is shown wearing what appears to be a wedding dress with a flower crown in an omake illustration.
- Himaruya, Hidekaz (2008). ヘタリア Axis Powers 2 [Hetalia: Axis Powers 2]. Gentosha. p. 21. ISBN 978-4-3448-1514-8.
- "Trading Cards". http://www.horror-vacui.net/hetarchive/images/?level=picture&id=26. Retrieved November 29, 2013.
- "■進行状況■". April 2008. http://www.geocities.jp/himaruya/4gatu.html. Retrieved June 13, 2014.
- Himaruya, Hidekaz. "飛び越せ！カナダさん [Fly, Canada-san, Fly!]". http://www.geocities.jp/himaruya/cnd.html. Retrieved November 29, 2013.
- Himaruya, Hidekaz. "【簡易キャラ紹介】 [【Simple Character Introductions】]". http://www.geocities.jp/himaruya/char.html. Retrieved June 13, 2014.
- Himaruya, Hidekaz (2011). Axis Powers ヘタリア 4 [Axis Powers Hetalia 4]. Gentosha. ISBN 978-4-3448-2233-7.
- Himaruya, Hidekaz. "メリークリスマス！！ Page 5". http://www.geocities.jp/himaruya/xmas20115.html. Retrieved June 13, 2014.
- Himaruya, Hidekaz (June 27, 2009). "引っ張り出してきたアメリカ勢ラフ". http://himaruya.blog61.fc2.com/blog-entry-600.html. Retrieved June 13, 2014.
- Himaruya, Hidekaz (June 6, 2008). "俺とお前と水戸光圀". http://himaruya.blog61.fc2.com/blog-entry-88.html. Retrieved February 8, 2012.
- Himaruya, Hidekaz (2011). ヘタリア Axis Powers 4 [Hetalia: Axis Powers 4]. Gentosha. p. 116. ISBN 978-4-3448-2233-7.
- Himaruya, Hidekaz. "メリークリスマス！！ Page 8". http://www.geocities.jp/himaruya/xmas20118.html. Retrieved June 13, 2014.
- Himaruya, Hidekaz. "クリスマス2011 Page 7". http://www.geocities.jp/himaruya/2011_12_7.html. Retrieved June 14, 2014.
- Himaruya, Hidekaz. "メリークリスマス！！ Page 6". http://www.geocities.jp/himaruya/xmas20116.html. Retrieved June 13, 2014.
- Himaruya, Hidekaz. "メリークリスマス！！ Page 7". http://www.geocities.jp/himaruya/xmas20117.html. Retrieved June 13, 2014.
- Himaruya, Hidekaz (October 26, 2011). "ハロウィーン何の仮装する？". http://himaruya.blog61.fc2.com/blog-entry-1290.html. Retrieved June 14, 2014.
- Himaruya, Hidekaz. "ハッピーハロウィーン！ Page 3". http://www.geocities.jp/himaruya/hall20113.html. Retrieved June 14, 2014.
- Himaruya, Hidekaz. "クリスマス2011 Page 6". http://www.geocities.jp/himaruya/2011_12_6.html. Retrieved June 14, 2014.
- Himaruya, Hidekaz. "ハロウィーン もちとうさ". http://www.geocities.jp/himaruya/2013omake.html. Retrieved June 14, 2014.
- Himaruya, Hidekaz (2010). Axis Powers ヘタリア 3 特装版 [Axis Powers Hetalia 3 Specially Equipped Edition]. Gentosha. ISBN 978-4-3448-1938-2.
- Himaruya, Hidekaz (November 26, 2010). "「Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs」でのイギリスいじりは異常" (in Japanese). http://himaruya.blog61.fc2.com/blog-entry-946.html. Retrieved February 8, 2012.
- Himaruya, Hidekaz. "ハロウィーン漫画". http://www.geocities.jp/himaruya/2013hal_5.html. Retrieved June 16, 2014.